Veronica Belmont on being overtaken by a meme

All businesses suffer under that challenge.

I forget who said " 50% of advertising works, if we knew which 50% , we’d be rich".

This is probably true in the business of personal popularity as well.

I can. The employer is a bunch of assholes, at least its sub-part that makes such decisions.

Zero tolerance. A convenient cop-out with sucky outcomes that somebody else pays for.

So it is “reasonable” to ask for never having more than the prescribed limited amount of fun, or never getting a weak moment? Can you please explain? All of us did something that somebody else would strongly disapprove of - even if only few of us got it documented as the proliferation of social media and cameras is a rather recent phenomenon.

We need more of smaller employers - an environment where the ones who reject candidates based on bullshit criteria will deprive themselves of potential talents, while those who don’t have their HR heads up their corporate arses will have a bigger pool to choose from.

8 Likes

You should have seen her mother’s reaction!

Oh Jesus Christ. You are a good person, and I enjoy your writing and opinions. But no no no no no no no no.

We were all born nekid, we all die nekid, and a third of our lives are nekid. It isn’t a moral hazard of any sort to show your stuff.

The person that publishes pics without consent needs a life lesson though.

10 Likes

She not only embarrassed herself, but her mother also, and lost the opportunity to work in her field at a high rate of pay.

Ethics and morals aside, this is the field of play in the workplace. And besides, she’s a pretty girl, she doesn’t need to go that far to get attention.

At this point I assume this is your wife:

10 Likes

I hear what you are saying, but come on. (Not necessarily directed at you)

That is BS. “Someone posted pics of me that are a tad embarrassing so me and my family get financially harmed”?

If this standard were applied evenly, the pics I posted of myself last night would make me unemployable.

Again, I appreciate your opinions and your voice, but isn’t this an example of some shitty morality shaming?

11 Likes
1 Like

This thread:

11 Likes

7 Likes

I spent all last night looking for that footage. It must be in the attic. The good news is I found some vintage Space Ghost I’d forgotten about.

2 Likes

I think it’s an artifact of an era where where people had more value on certain sorts of modesty, and while there are certainly those who welcome a more liberal approach to sexuality, there are still those who are not comfortable with such expressions.

Where does this leave us?

My daughter coming away angry and wanting to get a lawyer to fight the decision, and us old people knowing where the employer is coming from and asking our daughter to clean her Facebook page up for the adult reality.

As an aside, a client of mine was sent home from work to change because she violated dress code. She is an executive accountant and decided one morning to go to the office in a mini skirt and braless top. She said to me that in Brazil, where she’s from she would be overdressed, and wanted to complain legally.

I told her that this is conservative Canada and that her employer sets the standard.

If I were to show up for work wearing what I am wearing now,I’d be sent home too. Shorts and an old ratty T-shirt (which I lovingly call StinkyComfy) are not what you where to the office.

But you also don’t where ‘facebook’ to the office, or photos that other people took of you.

Many (most?) States in the US are at will employment. So you can be fired for almost anything. Buy that doesn’t make it right.

Edit

And braless is a problem? Am I also supposed to wear a jock strap with my suits?

8 Likes

What, you don’t have a codpiece?

8 Likes

That pun leaves me feeling crabby. I hope you can shore up your humor, lest you get pulled down hook line and sinker.

2 Likes
8 Likes

Which means “they controlled their women better”

We’re not going back. Fuck that noise. If you’re not comfortable with women being free, than that’s too bad for you. You’re welcome to your opinion, but that doesn’t mean you get to control what others do.

13 Likes

Apparently naked boobs are enough to get you not hired!
My god, imagine what they’d do if someone breast fed! In public! OMG!

10 Likes

Yep. Standards.

To my client and to my daughter both…and the rest of us…

And, these were all women making the observations. Both for my daughter and for my client.

To make it about oppressive patriarchal control is a stretch.

Internalized sexism - it is a thing.
Women rate men higher in job interviews even when female applicants have the same qualifications. This is a side effect of living in a sexist society.

8 Likes