Very handy numeric guide to those little stickers on fruit

Originally published at: Very handy numeric guide to those little stickers on fruit | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Cool idea; we use Dumpling, and our shopper is pretty smart, so it hasn’t been an issue. Haven’t been able to get rutabagas, though, via several other store apps, so maybe this would help.

2 Likes

disgusting Red Delicious

True that.

jerry seinfeld GIF

5 Likes

3507 Cosmic Crisp (as though Honeycrisp and Fuji had a prodigy offspring) [apple UPC/PLU list]

3 Likes

Is there going to be a test on this list?
Is it a pop quiz, or do we get advance warning?

3 Likes

3438 Ambrosia - Yes!

2 Likes

I used to be a cashier at a high end supermarket. There’s a test every couple months based on what’s in season, plus you’re expected to have the top 50-100 memorized

5 Likes

What? No Gravenstein Apples! Dang, that sucks…

1 Like

The scary thing is I remember some of the PLUs used when I was a cashier back 40 years ago. :-/
It wasn’t standardized then, each store had their own.

3 Likes

Golden Delicious are not ineptly named.

2 Likes

I’m sure it’s not traditional but Golden Delicious are my go-to for Tarte Tatin.

1 Like

Heirloom fruits and veg are often so very wonderful.

One Thanksgiving, my late mom’s home made pumpkin pies were a great success. Her sister raved about them and wanted the recipe. Mom replied, “Well, first you plant (heirloom) Luxury Pie Pumpkin seeds…” and everyone was surprised AF. :smiley:

3 Likes

Nerd alert. Since childhood I have always kept an album where I place any new fruit sticker I’ve not seen before. Fortunately it’s a big album. Miniature graphic design treasure trove!

7 Likes

That’s a really cool idea! Post a pic?

2 Likes

I used to work as a cashier back in HS. First code we learned was 4011.

Any takers?

Oh, and bonus points if you know the code for ginger root. I was the only one in the store that knew it without having to look it up.

3 Likes

Lemon?

2 Likes

4011 is the go-to for unscrupulous self-checkout users. Bananas are usually pretty cheap.

5 Likes

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

3 Likes

Nah. Or more appropriately, Banahnahnah.

3 Likes

No problemo!

12 Likes