Vet-turned-congressman claims expertise in women's health care from animal ultrasounds

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/01/26/vet-turned-congressman-claims-expertise-in-womens-health-care-from-animal-ultrasounds.html

3 Likes
15 Likes

@ GOP State Rep. Kitchens;

Are you currently an OBGYN, or ANY kind of licensed medical doctor?

21 Likes

It doesn’t even sound like D-K, but more like a deliberate distraction. MAGA Rep. Kitchens is just waving a big sign saying “don’t look there, look over here”.

What the hell does performing ultrasounds have to do with the decision by actual human women about how to deal with a pregnancy?

Does he think those women have no more agency or rights over their future than the livestock he deals with? [rhetorical question]

14 Likes

In my attempt to avoid confirmation bias, I purposely did not click on the article before posting my comment about Dunning-Kruger.

But, well, dang…

R

The cruelty really is the point.™

His argument, his conceit, is beyond words, denies the humanity of women, and sentences a specific cohort of pregnant women of all ages to death. Female rape victims who become pregnant after assault are exponentially re-traumatized. I don’t even want to begin to hazard a guess what his stance is on this:

Ye gods I hate this timeline.

13 Likes

“You look at an ultrasound of an animal – any animal – there’s a sort of squiggly gray blob. Ultrasound of a pregnant woman? Another squiggly gray blob. They look so similar you can hardly tell them apart. I certainly can’t, and I don’t believe my colleagues across the aisle can either. And that’s why I say that abortion isn’t healthcare, a tomato is a vegetable, and cats are reptiles. Also, April has 36 days, Julius Caesar was Polish, and avocados can talk. Q.E.D. Remember, I’m an expert. No further questions.”

13 Likes

We. Really. Need. That. Puke. Emoji.

5 Likes

Are abortions on domesticated animals common and considered veterinary care? If so, has he performed any?

12 Likes

Remember, folks: spay or neuter your Republican representatives.

18 Likes

Wow…talk about dehumanizing women. The fetuses are human life, but not the “containers”…

I want congress to be forced to watch this, Clockwork Orange style if necessary:

It’s by far the clearest explanation (in my opinion) of why abortion is acceptable and a necessary right.

TL;DW: The fetus is parasitically living off another human, consuming a huge amount of their resources. If someone hooked you up to a blood transfuser for a year with an innocent stranger who would die otherwise, you’d likewise have the right to disconnect them.

(EDIT: I always feel a bit bad posting Abigail’s pre-transition videos, but the videos are just so good. :confused:)

8 Likes

May a “GTFO” emoji too, for when the Congressional performative bullshit gets too wacky.

7 Likes

Based on his statement, he feels women are “female mammalian life” then?

I wonder if his two daughters agree?

5 Likes

wow… that’s an impressively non-sequitur bit of blather…

“And if you believe that a fetus is a human life, then abortion is not healthcare. You know, in my veterinary career, …”

First, (of course?), if a fetus is “a human life” then he’d assert that any zygote is?? or potentially any diploid cell shed from a human? (as it could theoretically be used to clone “a human life”) - what nonsense. Then, how from that false statement can any conclude that abortion is not healthcare!? yes we understand that it’s not something this fine gentleman approves of; but does he refuse to see it as a technique commonly practiced for the full history of physician care, let alone often to the direct health benefit of a patient who receives it? (“yes he does refuse to accept that.”) Even just based on these few sentences i don’t want this guy anywhere treating any living thing or making any public policy.

8 Likes

QED: Exfoliation is MURDER!!! :man_facepalming:

9 Likes

Now he’ll share his expert, birthing technique of tying a rough, heavy rope around the ankles of a stuck baby and then pulling on it.

6 Likes

Still waiting on my eyeroll.

3 Likes

TNR; Trap, Neuter, Release, and eventually the population will drop. That’s the theory, anyway.

9 Likes

I :heart: the dog.
I :spades: the cat.
I :clubs: the congress-critter.

9 Likes

Yes, they are very common. It’s usually a spay-abort, performed either on undesirable pregnancy or an animal experiencing potentially lethal complications. My ex boyfriend’s pug needed one when she had her purebred puppies. I like to think they learned their lesson after her dog nearly died.

This man is as dishonest as he is stupid and cruel.

13 Likes

Cary Get out of here

buzz-woody idiots

5 Likes