✌ Victory! ✌

\o/ I’m glad to hear!

4 Likes

After a very long number of years of ignoring it, I finally looked up my retirement savings account, and I only lost $4000k $4k this last year!

7 Likes

My victory this morning? Finding this awesome thread which makes me feel a shit-ton better about people and things in the world right now.

11 Likes

When you say $4000K, do you mean you lost FOUR MILLION DOLLARS this year?

8 Likes

Also, if that is indeed the case, I know how you feel. My retirement fund lost 1.6 billion on Wednesday night when some other mooks won the Powerball.

15 Likes

That was an emphasis "K’…no, wait, a swinging strike!

Um…Victory!

5 Likes

Victory indeed! It’s like not losing 3.6 million dollars you never had in the first place!

4 Likes

This year is only 15 days old…

5 Likes

Sweet god I am incapable of making any sense today. Victory!

6 Likes

A good day. I finally figured out how to use SAS hash objects. Been meaning to for about 3 years and finally did it today. And my program works and it positively flies.

:airplane:
:rocket:
:bird:
:bee:

(It’s for calculating qualifying intervals without resorting to wasteful many-to-many merges or full outer joins, useful for building epi cohorts from big datasets.)

11 Likes

I applied for four different EU/EC contracts with two translation companies early last year. Each company sends a list of all translators who hope to participate as part of the tendering process, and the whole process takes half a year or more. I’ve just heard back from the companies: three of the tenders were successful, and the fourth hasn’t been decided yet.

I’ve been wanting to move toward working exclusively with European institutions, so it looks like I’ve got my wish and I won’t have to worry about finding work in the next few years!

15 Likes

We finally tried this hole-in-the-wall Japanese restaurant in the area that always has a waiting line. We got there when they opened, and there was already a big crowd milling around, so we weren’t sure about our chances. Not only did we get the last available table, but:

1. the food was delicious and generously portioned
  2. there were no TVs in the place
  3. there was also no loud music!

Finally, a place to eat and be able to have a non-shouty conversation, unlike so many other restaurants around here. Win!

18 Likes

My daughter was trying to find a way to avoid boring college application prep, and volunteered to help move a treadmill (that we got for free, never buy a treadmill) from the barn to the basement.

With the help of my spouse, the three of us fought the clumsy, heavy thing out of the garage, up the twisty walk and the seven steps on to the deck, through the twisty back passage, and down a flight of stairs into the space where the fuel oil tank used to be.

Today I can still walk and have not needed any painkillers. VICTORY!

18 Likes

Now? Most due dates are past. Or is she 11 months ahead of the game??!!

3 Likes

She is resisting being 11 months early. So much so that she’s willing to move large heavy objects rather than fill out more forms! But since she wants to play field hockey and major in music composition, the earlier she gets her name out, the better.

4 Likes

She wants to major in music composition? Mills. She wants to be at Mills College, seriously. Make sure you visit there if you do the whole college tours thing. My daughter turned down a full scholarship to Wellesley and a massive scholarship to Harvard to go to Mills because of their music program, and was glad she did.

2 Likes

What about Berklee College of Music in Boston? (Which is down the street from either of your daughter’s other options!)

Weird fact: only college in the U.S. that requires the SAT standardized test (will not accept the ACT).

3 Likes

Yay! Major work issue solved!

We’ve got an … odd data strategy in evolution, and I was stuck pulling data through an AWFUL view and the delay to get proper table access was getting exasperating. The explain plan had it hitting 7x10^21 rows with a cost of 5,842,879,329,401,179,136 … presumably when it gets to the DBAs to go prod they’ll freak out appropriately but until then I’m stuck dealing with it.

I managed to figure out a way to use what keys were tied to the tables to create a set of scripts that’d just load up a new table in little chunks of inserts that wouldn’t murder the database (select * from tablename limit 100 was giving out of memory errors!) and it only takes a few minutes, so we’re just going to internally automate the process and use my faux-materialized-views until they fix things up.

That saves me about five hours a week of waiting for nothing to happen, yay!

17 Likes

Did I managed to go from 4°C/39°F yesterday evening, to a whooping 17°C/69°F in 24 hours with a woodburning stove in a place of 100m2. It’s a pity the temp will drop during the night, but not as much as during the week. And it seems it stopped freezing outside.

8 Likes

I got out of the house too late for a variety of reasons and I missed my linear algebra quiz this morning. I went to see my professor later in the day with an unrelated question and he asked what I thought of the quiz. I told him I missed it, because it was the truth, but I wasn’t expecting him to do anything about it because the syllabus was pretty clear. He thanked me for not asking to take it, and let me take it anyway. It took me two minutes out of the ten he gave me and after glancing over it, he declared it was a perfect score. Throw in the fact that on Thursday I knocked out the lab procedure in under about an hour with time to spare because I’ve finally developed some proficiency and experience running reactions, and that my casual interest in nuclear power has me well ahead of the curve in nuclear chemistry and I feel like this semester is off to an awesome start. Also, did you know Five Guys serves milkshakes?

20 Likes