Fuck Today, Continued (Part 3)

Continuing the discussion from Fuck Today, Continued - #5030 by sqlrob.

Previous discussions:

Continuing the discussion from Fuck Today, Continued:

IIRC, it is a dry pipe system that fills the room with a potassium salt aerosol. It was one of the earlier replacements for FM-200. We did see a company that was playing around with using those as a grenade. Throw one into a burning space to extinguish the fire. Not sure that caught on, but made great videos.

2 Likes
7 Likes

IRL kvetch… some jackass put Fox News on the TV in the cafe on campus. WTF would anyone do that in fucking Clarkston… It’s this kind of thing that pushes Fox’s ratings up, BTW… putting TVs in public places on that channel.

Paley Center No GIF by The Paley Center for Media

9 Likes

I keep meaning to get one of these.

10 Likes

I remember seeing Fox News, for the first time for more than a clip, on the TV in the corral at the :us:/:canada: border at Niagara in the early 2000’s and wondering why a blatant propaganda channel was on in a public building.

Then again, if you’re not desensitized to it, a lot of :us: media sounds like an alternate universe version of 1980’s Radio Moscow.

10 Likes

Lawsuit: Cops Stood By While Elderly Woman Was Stabbed 68 Times; Cops: Hey, We Yelled At The House

8 Likes

Angry Star Trek GIF

That poor woman…
:sob:

6 Likes

8 Likes

dog day afternoon sigh GIF

9 Likes
7 Likes

12 Likes
5 Likes

Users are asking variations of the same question: “Alexa, what kind of hurricane was Hurricane Milton?”

“From fandom.com: Hurricane Milton was an extremely powerful Category 5 hurricane that caused widespread damage across its path in October 2024,” responded Alexa in multiple videos. (Although Media Matters couldn’t replicate the response, Alexa did tell us the death toll and monetary damages of a hurricane that has not yet made landfall when we asked if there were any fatalities from Hurricane Milton).

Alexa’s response cites fandom.com, a fan-generated entertainment and gaming platform. Within fandom is the Hypothetical Hurricanes Wiki, a “wiki-based comprehensive database of hypothetical tropical cyclone articles that anyone can edit.”

One user ends the video by shaking his head and saying, “They’ve already predicted the outcome, I wonder why?” That video has over 738,300 views.

5 Likes

See also “You can call me AI”, and “Enshittification”.

6 Likes

So I finally get around to updating my address with the Ontario government for driver’s licence, healthcard, car permit. That involves entering long hard-to-read sequences off each card/paper, and they make assumptions about address formats, leading to a guessing game about what they want. I finally get it done and …

The smiling feedback box at the bottom is the lemon on the cut. (I’d leave lots of feedback, but then it would probably say “Ha ha! We told you the system was unavailable! Comment not saved.”

Is it too much to ask that at the various steps they do a call to the backend for a simple up/down status check?

7 Likes
6 Likes

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/google/google-warns-ublock-origin-and-other-extensions-may-be-disabled-soon/

Doesn’t want to Onebox, for some reason. Google continues on its path to enshittification.

4 Likes

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/six-transplant-patients-brazil-contract-hiv-infected-organs-2024-10-11/

7 Likes

Stand Up What GIF by 800 Pound Gorilla Media

If only there were a way to test for that to ensure it didn’t… oh, well then…

4 Likes