Video appears to show Baltimore cop planting drugs at a crime scene

3 Likes

They should have cameras implanted in their foreheads.

3 Likes

Yeah, and the irony is that being innocent probably made it more difficult for the suspects to get justice here.

They’ll find another job at another police department, too. Everyone gets to take on and apply the lesson of how to be more effectively corrupt.

Well, this will surely help public defenders on future cases with these cops (as we all know there will be future cases*), but I can’t imagine they have the resources to revisit old cases.

*From purely a practical aspect, it’s amazing that police departments will keep on or rehire cops like this - they have to know it’ll make all their future work problematic in court.

Oh, absolutely they shouldn’t be controllable by the officer at all. The off switch is enough of an editing function that it allows them to play to the camera, creating short works of fiction that get turned into evidence that will have even greater weight than the cop just making the claim. The camera actually makes things worse in cases like these that make up the majority of police work.

6 Likes

What do I have to say? Cops are nobody’s friend, except for other cops. If you have cops in your circle, ditch them. If you insist on behaving illegally, do it with people you have known since high school.

2 Likes

accitentionally

7 Likes

30 seconds ago.

2 Likes

Despicable

3 Likes

All three need to be firedtried/convicted/imprisoned immediately.

12 Likes
5 Likes

The only problem with body cameras with no off switch is it also has an effect on people who who are victims of crimes and reporting them. People who aren’t even under investigation and may be at very vulnerable points in their lives may alter their interactions with the officer if they are being recorded.

2 Likes

Check out my comment above. Not all of it has to enter the public record, there is a time and a place for privacy, though it shouldn’t be absolute in the case of uniformed officers, and we have the tech to do both to record continuously, with discretion. But having the authority to turn them off entirely negates their role in good officers having a level playing field with the bad.

2 Likes

And be charged to the full extent what they were trying frame on that guy. All three of them.

4 Likes

There is only one fair punishment for the three of them and that is to take their pensions. Leave them with nothing.

1 Like

Yeah, and that’s pretty common. I might be optimistic in thinking that it would even have an impact on future cases involving those cops. The public defenders might know about their history, but I suppose they’d also have to have an expectation that they’d be doing more than entering a guilty plea for their clients, which is what happens when you have about ten minutes per defendant.

Yah.

It’s often enlightening to occasionally take a moment to think about the things we accept as normal.

“Poor people are vastly more likely to be imprisoned when accused of a crime” is apparently a thing that most folks accept as the natural order of the universe.

Why do we accept the advantage of wealth in the “justice” system as a proper or unavoidable thing? It doesn’t have to be.

6 Likes

No fair making me laugh.

1 Like

Well someone’s clearly not a white, middle-class, male.

But then there won’t be room for their brains. Oh no, wait, hang on, I can work this out…

2 Likes

I haven’t read the details of the case, but my understanding is that the officer claimed to have witnessed the defendant hiding the drugs, and therefore was able to find them after only a cursory search.

Good point. This hadn’t occurred to me before but all you have to do is watch the Baltimore PD briefing to show how this could be done. They had “four videos we want to show you.” They could be shown in any order. They do have time stamps so maybe they would have to be shown in order, but with video from three cops all sorts of confusing things could be manufactured.

Isn’t technology wonderful

1 Like