Video captures cop trying to kill teen fleeing in car

Correct. That would be unjustified. Trespass is not a capital offense. Yo are not allowed to shoot trespassers.

Further, police officers have a higher standard of behavior than homeowners. Right?

11 Likes

Not a crime deserving a death sentence. so stop.

11 Likes

And all it will do is lead to people arguing one extreme viewpoint or the other.

the officer is not the victim here. The officer is NOT THE VICTIM.

12 Likes

Untrue de facto in many of these United States. Remember the trick or treating Japanese kid gunned down at the front door by a hysterical dumbass in Louisiana? Not Guilty. And knocking on a door is not trespassing.

2 Likes

The shooter in that case was charged and tried under Louisiana criminal law. The acquittal was an international scandal. After a civil action, the shooter was found liable for over a 1/2 million dollars. So ā€¦ exception proves rule.

6 Likes

A police officerā€™s actions should never be worse then the action they are trying to stop.

Fuck no!!! trespass and not listening are not capital offenses either. it isnā€™t a license to murder.

i agree 100%! Very last resort for life and death protection of innocent life, nothing else.

7 Likes

Maybe he just wanted a bit of paid leave?

3 Likes

Iā€™ll respond to your first scenario about a home invade while Iā€™m armed.
In my state, I absolutely do not have the right to shoot that person in my house- unless I have no other option. If thereā€™s an exit to my house I can use, I must. I can only shoot if thereā€™s absolutely no other option for me.
Shooting someone for entering my house would mean that Iā€™m valuing my stuff more than a human life, and Iā€™m of the belief that stuff is just stuff. I can replace stuff. I have insurance for stuff. Even things I like are just things.
And so here: he stole a car. Fine- thatā€™s not a good thing. But thatā€™s what insurance is for. Thereā€™s no imminent threat- he was driving the car around, but whereā€™s the panic that we have to deal with all this right now? Itā€™s just a car. Is an older Honda really worth more than a human life?

11 Likes

And arguably worse, ALL cops stand in solidarity with the allegedly ā€œfewā€ racist cops. Until policemen are willing to stand up and say ā€œJoe was never a good cop and we shuddered every time he went on patrolā€ , Iā€™m not cutting any cops any slack.

12 Likes

indent preformatted text by 4 spacesā€œForest Acres is giving officer Cooper a paid vacation during its investigation.ā€

The officer will probably sent for more training to work on his aim.

2 Likes

Stormtrooper training perhaps?

2 Likes

A fucking men!!!

Cops that say things like that donā€™t seem to get if Officer Bumblefuck is hostile to the public, what makes them think he wonā€™t be hostile to he fellow cops as well?

2 Likes

Not that important. Cooper clearly wasnā€™t in danger of being injured when he shot the kid. The kid did a good job of avoiding hurting Cooper. While taking the position ā€œIf I stop, this copā€™s going to shoot me. Out in the middle of nowhere. Iā€™m going to die. And theyā€™re going to successfully blame my murder on me.ā€

An incredibly reasonable position to take since Cooper then shot him and *ahem* told an inaccuracy to the dispatcher.

What could have happened before the clip starts to justify trying to kill the kid after he made so much effort to avoid hurting the cop?

I agree. But before any of us can trust that process, our justice system has to start consistently charging cops for abusive behavior (and murder when applicable ā€¦ attempted murder in this case) and then seriously prosecuting so there are some statistically significant convictions.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/23/us/baltimore-goodson-verdict-freddie-gray/index.html

9 Likes

Yeah, apparently the legal postulates that officers should respond with the minimum force necessary for personal and public protection, and also have a duty to protect the lives of everyone, even criminals, are ā€œextreme viewpointsā€.

9 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed due to a large number of community flags.