Video captures cop trying to kill teen fleeing in car

It’s comin’ right for us!!

6 Likes

Let us not lose sight of the fact that at least two tires were in plain view and stationary during a large portion of the encounter. This is either a murderous asshole or the most incompetent cop i’ve seen in a long time.

5 Likes

Where’s the fun in that?

I didn’t join the police not to be allowed to shoot people.

3 Likes

Overtime I see this sort of article on BB or anywhere else I ask myself the same question “Was the cop or the suspect more out of line?”

An officer has his gun drawn and instructs you to stop. YOU FREAKING STOP.
At some point we as citizens also have to respect the officer.

5 Likes

Resisting arrest is not a capital crime. The police aren’t judge, jury and executioner. They aren’t allowed to attempt to murder people.

29 Likes

It’s an attempted execution for the “crime” of failing to obey while black.

8 Likes

The problem is, given the demonstrated systemic racism in the US police force/enforcement caste, that option is effectively only available to upper-caste individuals (i.e. white people). Black people who do that tend to wind up dead “resisting arrest”.

Trust has to go both ways in cases like this–and the police departments of the USA have long since exhausted any supply of trust from minorities due to literally generations of mistreatment. If cops want black people to trustingly follow their instructions, then cops, as a group, have to stop acting like all black men are either brutes or target practice.

15 Likes

No it isn’t I didn’t say it was.

If someone breaks into your home and you pull your gun on them and instruct them “I have a gun loaded and pointed at you, exit my home and property now” and they didn’t.

Are you not justified in shooting them? Wouldn’t we all say they showed poor judgment in not listening to you?

Regardless. Here we have a cop who DID order the person to stop and they didn’t. It IS illegal to run from a cop who has detained you or issued a lawful order. The order “STOP” is a lawful order, and from that point on, you are committing a crime if you do not stop.

3 Likes

Not all cops are racists. And not all cops have proven to be so. I am sure if we got true data and numbers we would see that MOST cops are NOT.

At some point the citizen has a responsibility to obey the law too. Not just do whatever the hell they want and ignore them entirely.

In my opinion, no. But I don’t subscribe to the castle doctrine.

Don’t disagree. But this isn’t Mega City One. The sentence for that crime isn’t death.

The police should only be allowed to shoot to prevent loss of life. And even then, I’d expect the officer to be suspended pending a thorough investigation.

22 Likes

I agree that death should;t be on the table. I really wish we would research and find better methods of immobilizing people and take guns off the table.

The cop is not wholly wrong for discharging his weapon. 7 times is excessive. But the suspect should have also headed the order to stop too.

The entire thing is shit. And all it will do is lead to people arguing one extreme viewpoint or the other. Instead of fixing the issue.

1 Like

7 Likes

Not all cops are racist, for sure. But given how many minorities have died over the decades at the hands of racist cops who have effectively murdered them without cause, it is hardly a surprise that said minorities default to the premise that a cop is a lethal threat to their wellbeing until proven otherwise.

Look, the cop in this case already demonstrated that he was willing to open fire on a non-threatening teenager that could not do him any further harm, in a manner in which you yourself have characterized as “excessive”. Really, that means that, as far as I’m concerned, the kid made the right judgement call in bugging out as quickly as he could, away from someone whose immediate response was not “I have a suspect fleeing the scene, requesting backup,” but instead “BANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANG.”

12 Likes

would you say that you’re disappointed with Boing Boing?

10 Likes

Or be summarily executed?

You are so sadly mistaken and confused about the facts, the law, the constitution and reality. Back to high school civics for you.

14 Likes

I agree that death should;t be on the table.

Then… take your overbearing fascist brownnosing somewhere else.

7 Likes

If the officer really had been afraid of getting run over, he would not have intentionally put himself in front of the car.

8 Likes

If you can think of something that could have been said, at that specific moment, that may have been more effective, I’d really like to hear it.

How about “hey self, stealing a car isn’t a capital offense, maybe I should breathe instead of becoming a hammer seeking a nail”.

7 Likes

No, actually you aren’t. If they decide to get up and run away or just sit down and eat some oreos, then you’d be tried for murder if you proceeded to shoot and kill them. If they don’t listen and then make aggressive moves towards you, then, yes, you could probably get away with shooting them in most places.

Just because you have the power/gun doesn’t magically grant you immunity if the other person is not presenting a threat to you.

In this case, you’d be hard pressed to reasonably explain that the cop would have been reasonable in thinking “this guy presents a direct threat to my life or the lives of others”. He definitely did present a huge threat of “being a bad guy who was about to get away”. But you’re not supposed to be able to just plug criminals in the back when they’re running away either (at least theoretically).

15 Likes

Considering the dangers of being murdered on the street by the officer, it is often advisable to do what they say.

#But I’ll be damned if I’ll respect the shitheads.

14 Likes