Video demonstration of new "invisibility cloak"

So… it’s a bunch of lenticular/fresnel lenses? Ok.

Shine a really bright light at the hidden target and wait for the smoke and screams.

5 Likes

Hides thermal signals? Wouldn’t that also make it a very effective insulation material (cost notwithstanding).

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure the impressive shot with the wall is bullshit. That one looks really good but all the others just look like they put some foggy plexiglass in front of a thing.

2 Likes

You can do this sort of thing with prisms…

image https://www.google.com/imgres

If you have a pair of prisms you can squash an image horizontally. This is how they used to get wide screen cinema off ordinary film. So, if you were really, really careful, then you could squish all the incoming beams, and then re-expand the light on the other side, and hide something in the small region where the light does not pass.

Of course, if you are not look in exactly the right direction then you will see a bit of the edge of the prisms, and if you look from the side you won’t be fooled at all.

They are probably using Fresnel prisms instead of ordinary glass because carting around prisms the size of a tank is not easy. If you open up a LCD display, it probably has several layers of Fresnel lens diffuser, so this isn’t exotic stuff.

The thing that looks like a riot shied is a different beastie. There is nothing on the other side of they, so I am guessing this is just bending the right around the central region and not straightening it up again, which will work if your background is pretty uniform. And it would probably work over a reasonable angle.

This might even be practical. Suppose you wanted to hide from a sniper. You could use the riot shield thingy. This would not be undetectable but it might make it harder to guess precisely where you were behind it.

Conclusion: there are several different gadgets here. The physics is about 200 years old, but still works. Nothing to worry the Romulans just yet.

9 Likes

Please install this around my local open-air pissoir, because that shit is embarrassing.

5 Likes

Damn, that’s a real application that might work! Think of those old pissoirs you used to have in Paris: you don’t even have to change the design much.

2 Likes

Here’s a way cooler demonstration of what I assume is a similar effect:

And you can buy that for like 10 bucks (pencils not included).

5 Likes

Ha! In a crowd, though, wouldn’t the cloak show the protesters behind you.

I mean, sure, maybe it’s fake but this statement is at the top of the page you link to:

September 4, 2019 Quantum Stealth is now patent pending and the mockup images that were on this page have been replaced by actual images of Quantum Stealth Light Bending Material (Invisibility material).

2 Likes

giphy

3 Likes

you just gotta go through the (very badly produced) video. they have an section with that, and another with a laser pointer.

3 Likes

There’s a danger if you overestimate it’s ability:

2 Likes

Interestingly, I’m currently working with Sappi on just such a project … would recommend any other companies?

1 Like

The Lupus Yonderboy and the other Panther Moderns were wondering when the mimetic suits were going to show up. Me, I expected this the moment I saw a Cray monitor. But we still have horses, so I guess there’s still time.

4 Likes

I’m at the capital equipment end, not applications, so I might not be all that useful. Maybe message me with a general description of your project and your timelines? I’m happy to help if I can.

3 Likes

“Watch how well it hides this notably unenthusiastic employee.”

4 Likes

Its just a green screen effect. Why doesn’t the “cloak” make the wall behind the man invisible also?

This looks like a pretty cool optical trick that is sort of the inverse of : (google image search “Fresnel lens face”)
Looking at the examples it seems like it’s displacing/scrambling the apparent edges in proportion to the nearness to the textured film, and that works like this due to the fact that the human visual system depends on edges for object identification.

1 Like

Quick question: can anyone think of a product or service with a name that contains the word “Quantum” and is not bullshit?

I really want to know.

2 Likes

Hmm… kinda like large reverse x-ray specs…
But instead of marketing their stuff with small ads in the back of comic books for $2.99 they pitch it to the military. Smart.

Anyway, if there really is some clever optics involved it might lead to useful stuff like making solar cells/collectors more efficient, that’d be nice.

2 Likes