'Video Killed the Radio Star' by Walk off the Earth feat. Sarah Silverman

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/05/video-killed-the-radio-star.html

9 Likes

Feeling nostalgic about an acoustic cover of a digital song about acoustic nostalgia.

24 Likes

That was incredibly pleasant. So much so I cannot put into words how elated I now am this Friday afternoon.

12 Likes

For my money, the best cover of this song is a 10+ year-old street recording of a group of highschool kids called The Wrong Trousers. Such pure, delightful, awkward sincerity.

11 Likes

'80s pop, Sarah Silverman, and puzzled babies. Love it.

The Buggles’ original version is famous as the first video to air on MTV – they already knew Gen Xers liked their irony.

10 Likes

Can’t listen while at work, but if it’s anything like WOTE’s other covers, then I’m sure it will be worth the wait until I get home.

I remember that day clearly; I was 5 years old and there were no commercials at all, just cool animations in between the 10-15 videos they had in their entire roster.

8 Likes

I prefer this cover version:

5 Likes

I was going to say something about how Sarah Silverman is covering a song that’s older than she is, so a nostalgic cover of a nostalgic song where the performer wasn’t around for either the events the song’s about or the original release of the song itself.

But then I find that Silverman is just incredibly youthful looking, and would have been 8 or so when the song came out.

9 Likes

Remember seeing this video in Sears on this.

4 Likes

Wait, you mean it’s not “Vinny O’Gill, the radio star”? I’ve been hearing it wrong all these years?

8 Likes

Walk Off the Earth’s videos are always so much fun! Extra rainbow sprinkles for M. Silverman. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Good theme for a song.

3 Likes

Hold my beer: For 30 years or so I thought (a) the lyrics were “She’s Got Better Days Inside”*, and (b) that they were sung by Rod Stewart.

* Which makes for a much more interesting version of "She's Got Betty Davis Eyes", in my opinion. ;)

1 Like

I like The Wrong Trousers’ cover:

Edit: Ninja’ed by @cahutchins

5 Likes

Made me smile. Thanks.

And for you folks who can’t listen at work, don’t you bring earbuds?

1 Like

Sarah Silverman is pretty much perfect.

Yeah pretty much

1 Like

It was all downhill for MTV after they played that song.

Seriously, always loved that song.

Wow! That was brilliant! Thanks!

Olive’s a seal?

(I’ll link to the original in due course if nobody else does.)

(And is this now going to become one of those threads?) @Lexicat

Oh, and had not come across WOTE before so heading off the check out some more. That was a wonderful thing, for sure.

3 Likes

Just wanted to share that I think I’m hallucinating (no pharmaceuticals involved), as I’d swear that Sarah Silverman singing is the same exact voice that she used for Vannelope VonSchweetz (and I watched the video imagining that it was a WOTE/Wreck it Ralph crossover…

1 Like