Video: Mall cop pulls gun on driver who knocked over traffic cone

It’s always nice to spaces form one’s childhood in the news. No, wait, ‘nice’ isn’t the right word.

The video of him with the gun drawn is terrifying. You can see he is literally trembling, with his finger on the trigger.

The Mall Ninja has gotten himself all hyped up on adrenaline, fear and — I’ll bet — self-doubt (he probably realized after a moment he made the wrong decision to draw, but feels he can’t back down now). His heart is probably thumping like mad, and his finger is still on the trigger.

I doubt I could have remained as calm as the man in the car.

5 Likes

Isn’t there a distinction between “brandishing” and “pointing”?

From the Canadian Criminal Code:

Pointing a firearm 87 (1) Every person commits an offence who, without lawful excuse, points a firearm at another person, whether the firearm is loaded or unloaded.
Punishment(2)
Every person who commits an offence under subsection (1):
(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years; or
(b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

I can’t believe the US doesn’t have similar laws on the books. Pointing a gun is serious.

4 Likes

For those in the thread unfamiliar with the origins of the term “mall ninja,” I offer it’s genesis:

Read and enjoy.

3 Likes

I remember it, but it’s been a while and brought back a smile.

I am not a ninja, merely a student of the art of Ninjitsu, and I prefer not to have status such as “Ninja” laid upon me, for as yet I am unworthy of the title. I will be completing my ninjisu training in a little over 8 months, and then I will be a Master of Ninjitsu, a true “Ninja”. But it is not my martial arts skills that make me so vital to the security of the mall, it is my tactical and strategic skills honed by years of intens on-site on the job training. My weapons skills are the envy of the squad, and I think that with my expertise I ought to be able to choose an effective and reliab;e weapon for CQC and urban combat, whicch is why I chose SW, the MP5’s are junk comparatively.

3 Likes

What, fake cops get to threaten innocent people with no consequences too?

7 Likes

Pointing isn’t an element of brandishing in California.

Cal. Penal Code section 417(a)(1) describes “basic” brandishing:

Every person who, except in self-defense, in the presence of any other person, draws or exhibits any deadly weapon whatsoever, other than a firearm, in a rude, angry, or threatening manner, or who in any manner, unlawfully uses a deadly weapon other than a firearm in any fight or quarrel is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment in a county jail for not less than 30 days.

So, just waving a gun around in a threatening way is good enough.

Actually, doing more research, the rent-a-cop’s crime appears could be a felony per Penal Code section 417.3:

Every person who, except in self-defense, in the presence of any other person who is an occupant of a motor vehicle proceeding on a public street or highway, draws or exhibits any firearm, whether loaded or unloaded, in a threatening manner against another person in such a way as to cause a reasonable person apprehension or fear of bodily harm is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170 for 16 months or two or three years or by imprisonment for 16 months or two or three years and a three thousand dollar ($3,000) fine.

6 Likes

Are we really doing this? Are we really going to measure the length of our peaces?

(I’m sorry. I couldn’t resist. I’m a bad person, I know.)

5 Likes

I am inclined to measure the success of a societal idea with the tastiness of beer brands - but afaik Mr44 does not drink

2 Likes

No, you see, while there’s about 300 million privately owned firearms in the US, and while the US’s population is ~350 million, gun owners tend to own not one, but usually 2 or 3 firearms. Often more.

So only about half of us are particularly well-armed. Sure there’s enough guns for every non-minor to have one. But the people who tend to like guns tend to have a lot of them.

2 Likes

Beer is good for one thing, makin’ whiskey :wink:

1 Like

I always love it when real life laps a TV/Movie event. It makes me giggle.

5 Likes

Hmmm, I’ll stick to the freedom of a welfare state and universal healthcare thanks (for as long as they last under the current gvmt, anyway). And a death-by-firearm rate which is 1/50th that of the US.

3 Likes

Nor am I. I am however going to express shock at the arming of non-police who are not subject to democratic control, and the failure of the actual police to do anything about apparent illegalities.

7 Likes

Traffic cone murder is a real and growing problem; the cruel traffic cone mass graveyards are already overflowing:

12 Likes

10 Likes

amazon prime + “drive-by”

2 Likes

8 Likes

Oh, of course! That’s what he was doing!

3 Likes

Now, does being “unqualified to be a mall cap” still allow one to be “qualified to be in the TSA?” Or is it vice versa? I always forget.

4 Likes