Video of Elon Musk getting booed on stage at Dave Chappelle's show last night was removed from Twitter (here's a copy)

I have often said the F means Fanatic.

8 Likes

There was something in The Closer (which my wife and I watched several weeks back after downloading it – because we’re not adding a view to Netflix’s count) that might speak to this. He talked about Kevin Hart losing a hosting gig because of an old homophobic joke that resurfaced. He talked about performing and how cancelling people, taking this away from them, would kill them.

That’s part of what happened to him, I think. He thinks that not being able to say whatever the hell he wants without consequence is equivalent to death. It’s a refusal to accept that the times and culture change. That people need to grow and evolve. He thinks he should be able to spew whatever and make money doing it. There’s a certain entitlement there, but also something else. Aside from obviously being an asshole.

4 Likes

This whole thing is weird. Can you imagine a “edgy” comedian in the 90s or even 15 years ago saying “welcome to the stage the world’s richest man” and thinking that would go well?

There’s very little “edge” in mainstream culture these days and everything is so putridly obsessed with money and arguments a out who the “GOAT” is. Its pathetic.

Even twitch streamer and youtubers who you might expect to look to for something resembling a “counter culture” in the 2020s, are the same.

Or it’s just me being nearly 40.

8 Likes

Yes, a why not both question?

4 Likes

Elon, honey, don’t you worry about all those people hating you, you’ve got enough love for yourself to cover it.

5 Likes

That one works as well.

The R is not radical, either; it’s reactionary.

I’ma tell y’all one mo’ gin:

PAUL MOONEY.

13 Likes

Apartheid did not end travel for people from other countries. People went on safaris, visited relatives and friends across borders, engaged in charitable/relief work, or worked for money:

9 Likes

Ok, not trying to make a big thing out of this, but foreign tourism during apartheid (especially for black folks) was nothing like it is today. Here’s a bit from the Wikipedia article including the reference.

Reactionary?

TERM = Transphobic Extremist Reactionary Misogynist.

Fanatics always have no sense of humor.

You need empathy, nuance, and an appreciation for the unexpected to be funny, whereas fanatics lack empathy, turn everything into black and white, and hate anything unexpected or uncertain.

2 Likes

How have I never seen that movie?

3 Likes

I still think we can genericize TERF though.

Transphobic Extremist Reactionary Fuckhead.

3 Likes

I never said it was, but that it existed - for various reasons. People’s trips and experiences were covered in Black publications in the US for decades (during and after apartheid). Some highlighted the difficulties involved, while others focused on the reasons for the journey or positive experiences that they had. So, I am not surprised that Chappelle chose it as a destination a year after there were multiple events celebrating ten years of freedom/democracy/ending of apartheid in SA.

14 Likes

Hey some of them might have been booing his few fans in the audience. They’re pretty unlikable, too

1 Like

Yeah. If it is a simulation… then the person running the simulation wants this to happen to him. As they said in Fight Club:

TYLER: Listen to me. You have to consider the possibility that God doesn’t like you, he never wanted you. In all probability, He hates you.

So like, the counter to his ideas are stupid and normal people hate them is that his ideas and well, he himself are hated by the beings running the simulation he’s in. That’s sooo much worse than Roko’s Basilisk. It’s like Musk’s Wager, and it’s lose-lose.

7 Likes

2nd richest, BTW. His recent fuckups have dropped him down Forbes’ list

9 Likes

The thing is, he’s never even been clear on what he means. Are we playing Roy here (plugged in like the Matrix) or are we supposed to be just programmed agents - software in the simulation - that have gained conciousness?

I don’t think Elon Musk is smart enough for that question to occur to him. Somebody introduced the vaguest version of the simulation idea to him and he’s just been repeating it without further thought.

1 Like

There’s a mental trap that it seems is just too easy for some people: you say or do something mean or hurtful, intentionally or maybe just thoughtlessly. Then people call you out and tell you how mean you are or how wrong you are. It’s not a good feeling to feel like people think you’re a bad guy. Then someone comes along, like a Tucker Carlson or rush Limbaugh or other rightwing influencer and says either directly or through their shows or writing, that Actually what you did wasn’t a big deal and actually the people who made you feel bad are the REAL bad people. Now you feel like you have the moral high ground and it’s all been a conspiracy! It’s a pattern I’ve seen over and over to people across the spectrum from lower class women and men up to international celebrities and billionaires.

13 Likes

… when the mask comes all the way off

7 Likes

Cringey image from the Twitter thread:

:grimacing:

8 Likes

In 2005, apartheid had been gone for over a decade. Nelson Mandela had already become President and been gone for 6 years. The 90s were a period of enormous change in South Africa, and it was old news by 2005.

9 Likes