Video of Hollywood celebs "refusing to clap" for winner goes viral

9 Likes

I donā€™t think itā€™s completely egregious that they didnā€™t clap, but it is fairly rude (especially the not very subtle looks). Also she absolutely deserved that oscar, the costuming in Mad Max is very inspired and amazing. Honestly i donā€™t give a shit about the oscars and this just reinforces the idea of how stuffy and out of touch the awards is.

15 Likes

Maybe itā€™s not just the leather, but also the big hair and the plus-sized body?

ā€œWho let THAT in here? Sheā€™s not one of us, and she certainly shouldnā€™t be up on that stage!ā€

18 Likes

I wouldnā€™t be surprised if thatā€™s a major part of it too. Not to mention that itā€™s genre cinema, which Iā€™d think much of mainstream hollywood sneer at as not ā€œreal moviesā€ā€¦

12 Likes

She was sitting waaaay in the back, so by the time she got near them, they probably didnā€™t know she was the actual winner and merely a hired seat fillerā€¦her outfit shouldā€™ve been the giveaway thoā€™: costume designers are nototious for putting on weird-ass clothing ensemblesā€¦

7 Likes

I seem to remember a similar response to a costume designer winning a few years ago.

Thinking about it, I suspect it was Jenny Beavan then, too, when she won for The Kingā€™s Speech.

EDIT: no, she didnā€™t win that year. But they should know her, sheā€™s been there 10 times. Wonder who I am rememberingā€¦

2 Likes

i think that if leather appalls them to the point of not applauding someone who is wearing it, you can assume they found some way to get a non leather wallet and non leather shoesā€¦

If that is the reason for their lack of applause anyway.

They were all clapping and smiling as she got up on stage. Iā€™m sure no one meant ill, itā€™s just a long damn ceremony
http://oscar.go.com/news/winners/jenny-beavan-wins-costume-design-oscars-2016

18 Likes

Ohhh maybe then this was them remembering her from that yearā€™s Governorā€™s Ballā€¦

I think the mention in the article of leather isnā€™t meant to say that leather, the material, is verboten at the Oscarsā€¦ you see plenty of leather being worn. But the theory was that wearing a biker jacket, t-shirt, and scarf to the Academy Awards was offensively casual and disrespectful. I think thatā€™s silly, but no, I donā€™t think the old farts by the aisle were all vegans.

5 Likes

Whereas being nearly naked and looking as objectivised as possible is just fine.

(And Stephen Fryā€™s earlier comment was pretty disgraceful but he gets a free pass because, gay, bipolarā€¦)

4 Likes

Oh, believe me, I agree. Iā€™m baffled by fashion standards.[quote=ā€œkupfernigk, post:31, topic:74382ā€]
Stephen Fryā€™s earlier comment was pretty disgraceful but he gets a free pass because, gay, bipolarā€¦
[/quote]

You mean his ā€œbag ladyā€ comment? He definitely didnā€™t get a free pass, as the furor was so loud he quit Twitter and all social media, supposedly permanently. It was a little uncalled for, though, as he explained that the comment was a bit of a private joke between friends that people took as an insult.

9 Likes

Wow, they still geo-block even after the oscars are over. Youā€™d think they would want the pageviews?

2 Likes

I was thinking the same thing.

1 Like

Iā€™d be inclined to believe that they just got tired of clapping (and probably didnā€™t realize sheā€™d be walking right past, on camera). If there was some reason why they wanted to protest, Iā€™m sure theyā€™d have been very vocal about the motivation afterward. They are, after all, showpeople. Itā€™s not in their nature to make a big show of something, then withhold comments.

11 Likes

If sheā€™s not secretly a Nazi or something then thatā€™s some seriously snobby shit.

Really, the only person who looks genuinely put out is IƱƔrritu. Probably because this particular award was the first indication that The Revenant wasnā€™t gonna sweep its nominated categories.

13 Likes

Wow. And I thought my mom was a prude for getting bent out of shape when I wore pants to church! I told her she should be glad I was going.

11 Likes

From the back and based on how casually she was dressed they probably all thought she was Bruce Vilanch.

5 Likes

That is the impression I get from the reactions in the vine. Crew/ seat filler/ whatever ā€¦ but not the winner.

5 Likes