Video of Hollywood celebs "refusing to clap" for winner goes viral

Perhaps they couldn’t clap because they had Girl Scout cookies in their hands?

6 Likes

Yes, but they were well-dressed. Where is the little black cocktail dress?

1 Like

On a different note-- these people are being labelled as “celebs” in title, but… and I’m not that up on hollywood… who, exactly, are these people not clapping?

3 Likes

right-o. I mean, they were protesting everything else under the sun at this Oscars and no one was shy about any of those protests.

1 Like

Actually I don’t think that Jason Lee has ever won an Oscar.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the fellow with the longish dark hair and goatee is Alejandro Inarritu, director of The Revenant. I’ve seen the guy with long white hair before, and I think he’s a SFX guy, but I could be wrong.

1 Like

I suspect you’re kidding, but anyway, no… too early in the program, I think. This was the third award, and I think the cookies went out a bit later.

And I don’t think too many people were registering disapproval of her outfit. This is the Oscars, after all, where every year some people dress somewhat outside the usual catalog:

…and it’s just part of the show. And though costume designers aren’t expected to be gorgeous fashion models, they typically do know how to achieve a desired effect (especially if they’ve gotten an Oscar nod). Sometimes they choose an understated look to more or less blend in, sometimes they choose something that stands out. Here’s what a half dozen of the most recent Oscar winners for costume design wore to the big show (I left out a couple of bog-standard tux-wearing dudes):

I do think a couple of the delayed reactions are due to them figuring out what was on the back of her awesome jacket.

22 Likes

Holy moses! That’s awesome, and honestly that’s the perfect explanation.

6 Likes

Well, really, Iñárritu is the only one scowling with folded arms unless you count the youngish bearded chap seated between Quincy Jones and Louis Gossett, Jr., and both of them seem to crack a smile in the last frame or two (possibly because of noticing the bedazzled skull on the back of her jacket). I don’t think this was anything like when Elia Kazan got his honorary Oscar in 1999, and people like Nick Nolte and Ed Harris glowered and refused to clap. (Spielberg gave a golf clap, but didn’t join the standing O.) And that was due to Kazan being unapologetic for naming names during the blacklist. Somehow I don’t believe a costume designer (however polarizing) could engender that much of a deliberate reaction.

6 Likes

The important question is, were you clapping?

Did you have a good seat?

2 Likes

Precisely where I’m sitting now, on me couch. My wife’s granddad’s Oscar on the mantle next to the TV. (We used to dress him up for the occasion in a Barbie frock or similar.)

And yeah, I clapped hard for every Mad Max win. You know I did.

19 Likes

Maybe they don’t think costuming is a “real” category. Sort of like the hierarchy of fine arts, and how some disciplines are higher regarded , and all of them higher regarded than say folk art and crafts.

1 Like

Eight Oscars…that haircut…the inspiration of “Edna Mode”…how times do change…http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-1159633/Edith-Head-Lessons-old-school-glamour.html https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBQhYxvgNmc

Yeah, the vine cuts out just before she gets to the stage. The full video shows that most of those people shown not clapping, started clapping once she gets to the stairs. Even Innaritu who had his arms crossed and gave her a bug eyed stare when she passed. She was also in the second section and had a long walk, took her 15 seconds to get to the stage. Try clapping for 15 seconds, time it with your phone, it’s awkward. They clapped when her name was announced, then stopped and then clapped again once she got to the microphone.

8 Likes

I thought it might be Rick Baker, but I don’t think he was nominated this year.

leather jacket? maybe all these elites are vegan. if any eat beef then it would be logical that the hides from the cattle go somewhere like maybe for the upholstery of their fancy cars. and don’t try to rationalize how wearing leather shoes is ok. fakes, phonies, fools, and frauds.

Dude, if you’re going to call out costume designers’ outfits at the Oscars, you have to go a bit further back to the credit card dress

8 Likes

Heh. That’s a most excellent one. But really, I’m not calling them out. I think they look great.

The credit card one, however, belongs in the pantheon with Bjork’s swan dress.

6 Likes

I think that’s already been debunked. Look a few posts up to see what they were likely reacting to, the awesome flaming skull sequined picture on the back of her jacket.

Yeah, some of the people are smiling at her and still not clapping (yet) in that clip. It would get pretty damn tiring to clap the whole length of time it takes people to walk to the stage, given the number of people up for awards at the event. Your hands would be bruised by the end of the night.