Video of Saturday's dust storm in Lubbock, Texas

Originally published at: Video of Saturday's dust storm in Lubbock, Texas | Boing Boing

3 Likes

10 Likes

All that wind should make it “cooler” so why do people complain about global “warming”. Right?

1 Like

Even the dust is bigger in Texas! Good to know…

5 Likes

Lubbock on everything.

2 Likes

“Are we the first? Are we the first ones to arrive here?”

Anyone else reminded of this?

1 Like
4 Likes

Time to replace your cabin air filter!

reminds me of bladerunner 2049

Planet Arrakis

And repaint it…

1 Like

We get these weather events in Lubbock about 2 or 3 times a year. It’s really impressive/terrifying when the dust rolls in as a haboob. Street lights come on, the dirt blocks so much light.
Watch this video from 2011… in less than five minutes visibility goes to near zero.

3 Likes

Molly Ivins always maintained that the best view of Lubbock is in the rear view mirror. The more I learn of Lubbock, the more I believe her.

1 Like

I’d worry more about the engine air filter.

1 Like

My comment was a joke, but yeah. Frankly I don’t understand why people keep driving in that. I think I’d just pull over somewhere safe (preferably sheltered), kill the engine, and wait it out.

1 Like

When I lived in Phoenix, you were supposed to do just that: pull over, kill everything, and wait.

The first time I experienced one I thought to myself “it can’t be worse than driving in a blizzard, right?” Spoiler: it is WAY worse - really hard to put into words just how dark, loud, and disorienting it is. When I saw highway speed signs flying hither and thither is when I decided that maybe next time I should heed the alert on my phone and NOT get onto the freeway.

eta: typo

3 Likes

We’re experiencing a new Depression, why not a new Dust Bowl?

2 Likes

Lubbock is not for the faint of heart, to be sure.

1 Like

It reminds me of “The Water Knife” by Paolo Bacigalupi, “Cadillac Desert” by Marc Reisner, and of course “Dune” by Frank Herbert. Oil is an option; water ain’t.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.