Video of the world's largest snake species newly discovered in the Amazon

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/22/worlds-largest-sname.html

10 Likes

At the same time?? That is a long snake!

39 Likes

9 Likes

Why the hell would you go swimming that close to a monstrously huge anaconda!

A creature that kills by wrapping around its prey and crushing it to death!

That guy on the video and the cameraman! Underwater!

I will never understand this.

7 Likes

6 Likes

It was ignoring them. Also, you can see where it’s starting to shed, so it’s more interested in the itch than something odd swimming nearby. Did not expect to see that choice of dive clothes though.

6 Likes

Sure, there were probably a lot of reasons why they felt safe enough to do that.

And I’m sure Steve Erwin had a lot reasons to feel safe manhandling a manta ray on the surface of a boat.

4 Likes

Oh hell no. Also, fuck that shit.

4 Likes

But… more snek to luv!

hugs anatomy GIF

23 Likes

It probably just ate. I’m sure it’s fine.

3 Likes

So what you’re saying is, it’s about to get a little bit bigger? :grimacing:

Just think, if in 2024 you can still discover a new animal this big in the smallest countries in South America, maybe there really could be sauropods in the middle of the Congo.:sauropod:

8 Likes

Holy Harryhausen.

8 Likes

I have those goggles in pink.

That shed looks terrible. I’d say snekkie didn’t have access to sufficient water for hydration, but, well…

3 Likes

If these snakes could somehow get on planes, they’d be unstoppable.

5 Likes

Except that Steve Irwin was not manhandling a Manta Ray on a boat when he died. For a start, Manta Rays, while huge and impressive, do not have stingers. Irwin was filming near a sting ray in shallow water and was hugely unlucky when it struck him in the heart.

I’m not saying Irwin didn’t often take risks as part of his TV style but he was an important conservationist and educator and not a reckless idiot.

8 Likes

Yeah, I was also very impressed with Steve Irwin when he was holding his own infant son in one hand while hand feeding raw meat to an unrestrained 13 foot crocodile. Very smart move. No way it could have gone wrong.

My point: I consider grandstanding for video to be worthless. Sure, they probably know a lot about animals and they were probably right that the odds were on their side. And also, it doesn’t seem to me that the reward is worth the risk of getting a bad roll.

2 Likes

That wasn’t great, I agree. I’m sure there’s all sorts of camera angle and knowing the animals stuff that made it actually low risk, but I agree there’s a real danger in making it look like a generally safe way to behave around animals.

2 Likes

I’m definitely a terrible researcher.
The largest snake I managed find on the Amazon is a paltry 110".

7 Likes

Distracted as I am, I’d never attempted such a stunt.
“oops, wrong hand”

4 Likes

They haven’t really “discovered a new species”- they’ve split an existing species into two:

Our data show that two distinct lineages within the former E. murinus form well-supported deep clades, allowing the separation of two species based on their genetic divergence […]

So it was already known that there were green anacondas in the region, it just wasn’t known that they were genetically distinct from the green anacondas further south.

2 Likes