Video: retired high school teacher resurrects her "teacher voice" to scold bear misbehaving on her porch

At least nobody slept in their beds. Check out this awesome video filmed on a nearby trail cam recently:

4 Likes

thrive love & hip hop GIF by Robert E Blackmon

At my first manager’s retirement bash, the microphone gave out, and his turn up at the dais was pretty weak. His wife’s turn: “I used to be a schoolteacher, so I don’t need a mic.” Indeed. She projected!

The people who currently peacefully coexist with bears, will soon become the people whose communities displaced bears entirely. Or, the bears who currently peacefully coexist with people, will soon become the bears whose communities were displaced by people.

So long as humans and bears both live in North America there will always be some humans living on the edges of bear habitat because (as already stated) the entire continent is naturally bear habitat.

Even if all humans retreated into big cities we’d still see some people living in proximity to bears because the bears would move in to the previously human-occupied areas.

3 Likes

You didn’t read my post, did you? My town is a clear counter example to your statement.

If you are

a largely solitary species that is not an indication of success.

Call it what you will, but it’s sure a strong indication that we haven’t displaced them here, which is what you were saying. And no humans have been forced to leave town either.

May the bears have been displaced to the town and its surroundings by external pressure?
May the bears have become so accustomed to human presence that they are more visible?

Either way you want to tell me what I am saying, it is unusual for bears to not be solitary.

The black bear population in California has been growing substantially in recent decades so one would expect them to show up in greater numbers and become more visible regardless of any other displacement pressures. So I’m not really sure what kind of point you’re trying to make here, or what suggestions you’re putting forward. Should we be hunting them more to bring down their population? Should people be moving out of 140 year old towns in foothill areas to open up more space for them, even though they aren’t native to the area? For now we’re co-existing peacefully in my area, and I’ll take that as a win.

https://wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Mammals/Black-Bear/Population

When the bear population exceeds its natural diet they will look to other sources of food, and that will lead to more interaction with humans. Accompanied by gradual degradation in the physical condition of the bears and young and new-born bears are less likely to survive.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.