Video, someone strapped a submachine gun on a $3,000 AliExpress robot dog and it's damn scary

Now you chase the stick.

7 Likes
4 Likes

Suddenly, Aibo didn’t seem so cute or friendly any more.

2 Likes

He definitely watched Terminator, he named it “Skynet”. Unfortunately a lot of people seem to see Terminator as something to aspire to instead of avoid, just like others see 1984 or The Handmaid’s Tale as instruction booklets and not cautionary tales.

3 Likes

None of those things can be controlled by my cell phone.
Speculation or not for this particular video. I think I am scared.
My only solace is that cutting and pasting on my iPhone is damn near impossible, so computers aren’t really that good. Right?

Snowcrash called and isn’t happy 2022 thinks it’s a great roadmap to follow. :disappointed:

6 Likes

I’m pretty sure the 80’s already saw were that was going:

3 Likes

That’d make a good double feature with Chopping Mall.

3 Likes

Not yet…

AI facial recognition is pretty good now. Especially if you’re just looking to differentiate “adult” and “child”
Or Hands up.
Or wearing an logo on your t-shirt.

1 Like

But “mass shooter” or “teacher?”

I mean, if I were selecting “mass shooters” on a Captcha, my 10th grade physics teacher would definitely get selected.

2 Likes

I see it working pretty well for off the shelf and being relatively light, it absorbs the shot and mostly stays put. Recoil suppression is going to require more ground contact friction, motors and software aren’t going to do it alone and they don’t want it bouncing or sliding or flipping.

The slow part seems to be aiming after the shot. The recoil effect should be predictable and I wonder if the rebound can be sped up.

1 Like

The robot dog would actually be much more effective and practical if it simply had several remotely controlled grenade launchers on its back. And people would think a giant porcupine was coming at them.

You know what? Forget that. A nightmare image.

2 Likes

Jeepers. I think the ads farther down on that page are a good indication of who the intended audience is.

1 Like
11 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I mean - it seems like you could add custom programming to adjust its stance immediately after each shot (as part of the firing controls), which doesn’t appear to be happening, as it’s climbing like heck when firing bursts, because presumably as part of its default programming it’s only (eventually) detecting and responding to the movement of its body (which just happens to be due to recoil).

2 Likes

Have you met Russia?

2 Likes

I hope there is nobody on the other side of that tree line - some of those bursts were going up at a 45 degree angle.

1 Like

Well like most of the folks who fetishize guns like these it can hardly aim and it has no discernible penis. So, checks out in my book!

2 Likes

They had 370+ law enforcement professionals fully armed with the legal authority to take any action necessary, and the requisite training. They didnt need robot dogs, they needed an ounce of character and integrity among the lot of them.

2 Likes