Video surfaces of Canadian Prime Minister in blackface

There we go. Sir Patrick is always classy.

8 Likes

Also, maybe the character Rudi?

6 Likes

I’m seriously struggling with this. My white, Dutch, non-affected head has difficulties getting to understand it. Where is the boundary between racism and distasteful and over-sensitivity? I’m handicapped. Does that mean you can’t make jokes about me anymore? Is that different then mocking Mike Tyson using black paint to impersonate him?
I’m probably to ignorant/uneducated/unaware to even realize where the gravity is.

2 Likes

I somehow managed to never see Rudi but I’m not fancying its chances.

2 Likes

I’d say the same thing that I’d say to someone who really likes Swastikas but doesn’t want to be affiliated with Nazis. Too bad things worked out this way, but people have to weigh their priorities. Just realize that if you don’t want to be read by others as racist, you shouldn’t wear blackface. If a person decides their halloween costume looking a certain way is more important than whether other people think they are racist, they can deal with the fact that people think they are racist.

Maybe this isn’t cross-cultural and universal, but it’s definitely true in North America.

21 Likes

If YOU make a joke about your handicap that’s one thing, or a close friend or family member who knows how you feel about such things. Additionally jokes that are by or about handicapped or different abled people that seeks to help an audience better understand their struggles can also be helpful and that’s usually jokes made BY people with disabilities - even then, as Hannah Gadsby noted in her stand up concert, that she herself had gotten sick of making jokes that only punched back at herself, which only worked to keep her marginalized instead of empowering her. Jokes made to mock or belittle people with disabilities… not really that cool.

There are plenty of ways that one can mock mike tyson that doesn’t also mock and belittle literally millions and millions of other people. If him being black is what makes me funny to someone, rather than something specific to HIM (the ear thing, the pigeons, etc), then it’s just racist.

14 Likes

Making fun of you because you’re handicapped would be a pretty big dick move.

We’ve already explained much better ways of impersonating Mike Tyson than wearing black paint (and in any case, his skin is a medium brown). At this point “not understanding how blackface is racist” is a conscious choice.

16 Likes

I remember feeling all cringy watching that. Not their finest episode, frankly.

7 Likes

At least they can claim to be really into Indian spiritualism or like the stonework mouldings at the back of the Royal Academy (which I had never noticed until it was pointed out last week). Even then they would have to be persuasive.

That’s the underlying thing to me. The idea that dressing as Mike Tyson includes darkening your skin comes from a racist place. It’s the same as when people get upset that a super hero is cast as an actor with dark skin when the original hero was pale, or getting angry that Hamilton has non-white actors play white people from history.

It’s racist to think that the colour of a person’s skin is an essential part of who they are, which makes it racist to think that a person can’t be played by a person with different coloured skin (in a play, movie or at halloween).

(Note: Complaining that white people play people of colour is really a complaint about representation, not a racist complaint that characters and their actors need the same colour skin.)

12 Likes

I would give Noel a pass on many things but those moments are a bit cringe.

4 Likes

Which of course is not entirely “white people” history, it’s trans-atlantic history, American history, Caribbean history, political and economic history, and none of that is the domain of whites. But I agree about the racist backlash against Hamilton.

Agreed.

Yep. I love the Mighty Boosh and Noel Fielding, but cringe indeed.

8 Likes

Thanks for the educatioin. I’ve learned something today.

10 Likes

mad-max-fury-max-thumbs-up

We should all try to learn something everyday, cause that’s how we grow and become even better people!

10 Likes

When my son was 8 he wanted to cosplay as Shadow/Dark Link from the Legend of Zelda series, but I told him NO on that. I explained to him the history and problem with white people who put on black face makeup. I helped him understand that when people look at him they won’t see him for the character he’s trying dress as, but will be first wondering if he’s trying to be offensive.

Some people might think that was something I shouldn’t have said no to, but I don’t regret making that call, it provided a teachable moment for my son about something he wasn’t aware of, and his first comic con was a great experience for him in the end. He ended up going as Link from Breath of the Wild instead.

*And for those who say my son could have worn a Dark Link outfit and avoided the black makeup altogether, my son is on the Spectrum and he was hyper-focused on going for a specific look. A solid “No” answer and solid reasons why he couldn’t was the best way to go in this situation.

18 Likes

Good parenting win!

9 Likes

I was not looking forward to halloween the year Moana came out. Fortunately my two-year-old just wanted to be a witch.

7 Likes

But again, I’m just one individual person and I don’t ever deign to speak on behalf of all “my people.”

Black folks ‘contain multitudes’… just like everyone else.

:wink:

11 Likes

Good parenting!

Long, long ago, when I was a tween, I practically worshiped a college football player who played for the U of Michigan, Anthony Carter. I dressed as him for Halloween. At no point did it enter my head that I needed to match skin tone.

Why is this still a thing? Do more ruddy-complexioned white people wear pale makeup when they dress as a Tilda Swinton or Orlando Bloom character? No, they don’t.

9 Likes