Video: Violin performance by Gaelynn Lea

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/07/video-violin-performance-by-g.html

6 Likes

Holy wow! I love how her technique and style have a strong feel of erhu in them.

4 Likes

She’s on tour with the industrial supergroup Pigface this winter. Looking forward to catching her live!

3 Likes

Saw her a couple of years ago at Greenman Festival in Wales, she’s an incredible talent, and she got a very warm reception. I bought a couple of her albums straight afterwards.

3 Likes

She got her start playing with Alan Sparhawk and Low.

1 Like

I was going to say it’s sonically more like Norwegian Hardanger fiddle because of the droning double-stops, but she doesn’t need the drone stings.

Violin teachers have a habit of criticizing folk players who don’t hold the instrument in the traditional western classical style, but I think they’d give her a pass (I note she’s holding the bottom of the fiddle with her foot, which maybe gives her an edge standard players can’t get with their chin/shoulder.)

1 Like

Really?!? Ruby is with them too!!! I might have to actually go see them!!! Although I’ve seen Pigface like 3 times at least…

ellen-sloths-kristen-bell-crying

1 Like

I think I’m actually at around a dozen times since the mid-90s, but I will continue as long as they keep coming around!

2 Likes

Fiddle ain’t violin! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

She came and played in my town, and I was lucky enough to have a long conversation with her about touring, music, and the challenges she kicks in the ass all day long.

Super cool lady, with super cool tunes.

2 Likes

This place is really close to my house. I have small kids so I never make it out to see live music but I didn’t even know what kind of shows they had, very cool.

2 Likes

Glad you found us - send me an email and I’ll put you on the guest list for a future show so you can check the place out! will@eddieowenpresents.com

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.