Vintage photos of men with wonderfully odd haircuts

Natural ginger hair can be a styling challenge.

2 Likes

As guy who grew up with curly hair, there are times when you just stop fighting it and let it go where it wants to.

4 Likes
Peripheral artifacts caused by:
  • Misapplication of mercury vapor onto Daguerreotype plate.
  • Emanations from animal-fat styled coif affecting plate from beyond the grave.
  • Subject was uncommonly angry during the sitting.
  • Other

0 voters

3 Likes

Wow! What shop did the antiquing on these millennial pics!
I want mine done too!

3 Likes

The kid with the Bulls logo shaved in the back of his head doesn’t belong here. That cut is objectively amazing.

2 Likes

The third one is Brian May, time traveler.

3 Likes

the-umbrella-academy-finale

5 Likes

Well this is embarrassing: I totally rocked some of those looks in high school!

3 Likes

These guys have nothing on the Rwandans of 100 years ago:

9 Likes

All of the above?

1 Like

Lyle Lovett would fit right in.

2 Likes

Depends on what “other” was. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Maybe something like my black and silver one from the Autumn of 1984…
84---1

1 Like

What these guys need is some gorilla glue.

Sorry. Hairdresser for 3 decades plus. Commercial do’s descend from trend setters, who descend from avante garde, which are born of fantasy and . . .freaks. We mainstream some weird nonsense. Mall bangs? Botox? Faux hawks? The Donald? Give it 50 years and we will all be shaking our heads at the nonsense of the roaring 20’s.

5 Likes

“Howdy, stranger, welcome to Bedhead, New England!”

2 Likes

The first one is Tom Holland, no? That must be the wig he has refused to wear for the new spiderman film.

It’s not in the same league, but this is in my collection of postcards. From the 1920s as far as I can guess.

1 Like

Stuff like this reminds you that even when fashion rules were stricter, their expression was more diverse because they didn’t have the technology for perfect copies. Most of these gentlemen were probably aiming to sport the finest fashion of the day, but if you’ve only seen a couple of photos and etchings, of people with different hair to you, then you can’t help inserting your own creativity into the process.

Today, if you want to be the most stylish guy in West Bumfuck, it’s more about slavishly following global fashions on Instagram; the real unself-conscious experimentation is left to the freaks and geeks.

1 Like

As I recall, Gumby’s head shape was inspired by Art Clokey’s father (or grandfather) from an old photograph, who was sporting an odd asymmetrical haircut.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.