Violent threats against FBI from GQP is paying off: gunman shoots FBI building in Cincinnati

16 Likes

It will be interesting to see how the FBI ends up responding: in terms of institutional culture they don’t exactly lean left, and would probably be more comfortable if the enemy were still MLK fomenting uppitiness, or islamic terrorists; but they aren’t immune to criminal statistics(and even the ones that are probably remember the deliberately dramatic cases) and they are the sort of ‘conservative’ that largely frowns on cop-killing.

Congressional pressure force them to walk back any official assessments to the effect that asshole white dudes are, empirically, the face of the terrorist threat to America? Very possible. Congressional pressure actually induce them to just stand there and get shot by a threat they’ve identified rather than reacting to it, no matter how euphemistically they need to describe the process? That seems like a taller order.

8 Likes

My current suspicion is that the nail gun may have been the “I thought I had a way through bullet proof glass” that he mentions below.

Apparently it didn’t work; but if the ‘nail gun’ was along the lines of a Ramset or Hilti ‘powder-actuated tool’(not implausible, given that the portability of pneumatic nailguns is pretty tepid) it’s hardly an absurd working theory. Tools intended for driving nails into masonry or steel, and the nails designed for them, do indeed put a hardened steel penetrator right into challenging material with disconcerting ease, so suspecting that they’d penetrate a glass/plastic laminate that would cause not explicitly armor-penetrating 5.56mm rounds to deform and stop on their way in is certainly more plausible than some theories that have made it onto Mythbusters.

I have no specific information on the tool he used or how close he got, so he could have used something much less serious, or attempted to do it from a distance when fastener systems rely on direct contact; or discovered that merely getting a nail in just leaves you with a sheet of bulletproof glass that has a nail in it because the cracks don’t propagate adequately(I’m in no position to test; but since fasteners are designed to hold things together the nails are designed to make a small, tight, hole that grips them tightly, sometimes with some screw-like surface texture to help, and specifically not to open a big hole that would lead to poor grip and damage to the surrounding material; so that outcome wouldn’t surprise me).

12 Likes

“Master demagogue” is more credit than is due. Manipulating not-so-intelligent people pre-disposed to violence into committing violence doesn’t take much mastery, only a will to do so and a message that will motivate the susceptible.

13 Likes

The other articles aren’t quite so flattering.

12 Likes

Read something that he’d posted on “Truth” that he had a plan to get through the bullet proof glass. Perhaps his plan did not so much fly so much as plummet

Eta:
Fuzzyfungus above posted the same with more technical info

3 Likes

Especially since they very likely now see themselves as potential data points that could end up in said statistics (as in casualties). They are not just on the offensive anymore.

6 Likes

Welp. The most likely explanation turned out to be the actual reason.

15 Likes

right? isnt it amazing how that works… sigh

any bets on whether there’ll be a flood of new accounts with mea culpas? ( personally, i think we should wait and see. i mean anything’s possible :roll_eyes: )

9 Likes

“…might have followed him…” Like what? Stray kittens? Hungry puppies? They are boxes of papers. At this point, Drumpf deserves no benefit of the doubt. Even stray animals are smart enough to stay away from the orange meathead.

4 Likes

Was his car blaring NIͶ?

2 Likes

How he thought it would go:

How it went:

8 Likes

This guy, reporter for Washington Post, has a lot of screenshots from his Truth Social account. A lot more on his twiter.

Those posts show why these social media platforms need some sort of rules and moderation, if the owner of Truth Social is aware that posts like this exist and chooses to do nothing about it that kind of implies they agree. In what world does that make the owner a good candidate for president?

In their world I guess.

9 Likes

You know what I find scariest about these posts? They’re all spelled correctly and grammatically correct. This was not a stupid and/or badly educated individual, just a very disturbed one.

9 Likes

Good thing some billionaire hasn’t bought twitter and tried to loosen the moderation. Last thing we need.

If there ever is any public blowback against “Truth”, you know TFG is going to say it was all Devin Nunes fault.

7 Likes

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Thank you, I needed that.

7 Likes
10 Likes

How to tell us that he is a white dude without explicitly telling us that he’s a white dude.

The standoff stretched for several hours as law enforcement tried to negotiate with the suspect, the highway patrol said.

“Once negotiations failed, officers attempted to take the suspect into custody by utilizing less lethal tactics,” the agency said. “At approximately 3:42 p.m., the suspect raised a firearm and shots were fired by law enforcement officers.”

13 Likes

White Privilege in a world of White Supremacy; it’s a helluva drug.

13 Likes
11 Likes