Virginia cop catfished a teen, murdered her family, then died in a shootout with other cops

Originally published at: Virginia cop catfished a teen, murdered her family, then died in a shootout with other cops | Boing Boing

11 Likes

I guess he won’t get his leave with pay

28 Likes

There sure are a lot of “bad apples” in American law enforcement. They really ought to check the barrel.

44 Likes

Lot of headlines I’m seeing “conveniently” forget to mention that the guy is a cop.

Sorry, was a cop.

24 Likes

Virginia cop catfished a teen, murdered her family, then died in a shootout with other cops

“The Aristocrats!”

:confused:

22 Likes

I begin to think that they are not sending their best people.

23 Likes

30 Likes

At least the teen was unhurt physically by the cops. It was possible they could have shot them as well.

12 Likes

That poor poor kid holy shit.

42 Likes

Indeed, what an absolute nightmare. :sob:

16 Likes

Uninjured, not unharmed.

23 Likes

Horrible tragedy for that poor kid.

Why do I get the sinking feeling a background check and personality test would have outed this man as a disturbed psycho prior to his career in law inforcement?

11 Likes

I wonder how many LE departments they’ll find out he has been fired from?

7 Likes

And even the ones that do are whitewashing it by saying “former police officer” and “ex-cop” when he resigned from the state police a month ago and was working as a sheriff deputy right up until the moment he left Virginia.

Assholes. He’s a cop, not a former cop.

20 Likes

Shouldn’t “Wants to be a cop” be at least a small red flag by itself?

15 Likes

Hm. You never know. Cops.

6 Likes

Unless one had been stranded on a deserted island the last few decades, wanting to be a cop is a huge red flag.

Clarification: The cop wanna-be would have been on that island, and not the originator of the subject question.

9 Likes

Yeah, that was something I immediately was expecting from the story, relieved it didn’t happen. (The recent story about the teen who was kidnapped and then killed by the cops when she ran towards them in fleeing her kidnapper was fresh in my mind… especially since the cops tried to justify it by suggesting it was reasonable because what she was wearing looked like tactical gear.)

Police departments do, theoretically, some psych screening, but they also tend to turn a blind eye to some personality disorders, because if they screened those people out, they’d not have enough applicants to fill positions…

Disturbingly, probably none (given what cops get away with), though I’m sure there were warning signs galore in his behavior as a cop that went unexamined.

He’s dead, he’s an ex-cop!

8 Likes

those damn bad apples

5 Likes

#backtheblue /s

5 Likes