Virginia mayor says Japanese American concentration camps were a good idea. George Takei has something the say about that

Small error

It’s actually about as American as it does get.

5 Likes

I give applause to Mr. Takei who has proven time and time again that he is a role model and the perfect example of what an American should be.
However I believe we neet to join him in the denunciation of all these govenors and others who are refusing to help syrian refugees. And not just skirt the point.

The reactions of these states are by definition succuming to the terrorist attacks and threats. Litterally cowering in fear behind your closed borders. This goes against every fiber of a true patriotic American, to stand strong and refuse to be afraid. They are acknowledging defeat by saying they can’t defend themselves. And worse, they are trying to shield themselves with xenophobic, racist, close-mindness; refusing to help others that have _actually been physically affected.

11 Likes

No flaming here – you are spot on. The Roanoke mayor is a jackass, but inaccurately reporting his behavior does us no favors. After all, isn’t his fear-mongering statement bad enough without embellishing it?

Of course, a cynic might come to the conclusion that the BB headlines and posts were designed to foment outrage in the service of clicks – but that’s none of my business.

2 Likes

2 Likes

No. The IJN had aircraft carriers.

18 Likes

May George Takei live a thousand years.

18 Likes

I think you may not understand modern warfare tactics and strategies. The threat of an aircraft carrier being docked off the shores of NYC is no longer an actual threat.

Today’s threat is someone setting off an explosive device and toppling a building, or randomly shooting up a crowded city street or school.

The issue is, that happens more from our own citizens like Tim McVeigh or Adam Lambda than it does from foreign based terrorists. The threat is real, but we are looking in the wrong place for it. Morons like Isis do not need to attack and kill Americans…Americans do a damned fine job of that on their own.

2 Likes

The Niihau incident was neither espionage nor sabotage.

1 Like

Not in a literal sense, but that is the clear implication–he is making the argument that it’s a good idea to reject Syrian refugees, and clearly bringing up the internment of Japanese-Americans isn’t just a random piece of trivia he adds to the letter, its rhetorical function is to support the argument that rejecting Syrian refugees is a reasonable course of action by suggesting that Roosevelt’s actions were also a reasonable response to the “threat and harm to America”. I don’t think there’s any coherent reading of this letter in which he disapproves of what Roosevelt did, do you?

13 Likes

I think that whenever somebody feels the urge to say or write, “I love my country,” they should instead write, “I resent that anyone would suggest that I do not love my country, the good ole USA.” That would put it squarely back in the haters’ faces, where it belongs. It’s not for normal patriots to defend their patriotism. There should be no need. In questioning someone else’s love of country, the burden of proof is really on the inquisitioner questioner.

2 Likes

We’ve recently gained both the “Love Australia or Leave It” Party and the Muslim Party.

Politics crumbling into one issue hate groups.

We got refugees from Eastern Europe after WW2, and Vietnamese after that war. With plenty of racism, but we adapted and they adapted and it figured itself out.

This… Tony Abbott, bless him. He used refugees on boats as an issue to drum up jingoistic votes, and it broke down the artificial walls that kept it out of politics and kept it (publicly) socially unacceptable.

We’re getting ugly again.

5 Likes

Welcome to the American nightmare.

At least you’re better with guns than we are.

3 Likes

(Bowers, not @WearySky, obviously) :wink:

via @Mindysan33’s .gif bank deposit

19 Likes

I wouldn’t count on it, George.

5 Likes

And meanwhile, Trump is openly calling for cataloging, numbering and tracking people based on their religion in the US. I’m sure conservatives would love to spin internment camps as a humane alternative to concentration camps.

9 Likes

Absofuckinglutely not. That is a severe overestimation of ISIS. Call me when they have a navy and an air force.

The recent events perpetrated by French citizens who were not refugees? How?[quote=“anon61833566hunter, post:20, topic:69520”]
legitimately scared
[/quote]

No. Not remotely.

18 Likes

Nell_Anvoid
“So…where are all the tough-talking “patriots” on this matter?”

From what I can tell, America is now populated by scared, heavily armed fraidy cats.

4+ million people are refugees from Syria (http://data.unhcr.org/syrianrefugees/regional.php). Of them, 1 was rumored to have been possibly involved in the Paris attacks, but actually he used a FAKE Syrian passport (per the ever peace loving left WSJ (http://www.wsj.com/articles/paris-stadium-attacker-entered-europe-via-greece-1447698583) and he was actually a Belgian citizen.

/S The clear answer is to refuse to help anyone fleeing that war. Oh, and we should bomb some more stuff, bc we aren’t going to make enough money selling bombs to Saudi Arabia.

quorihunter
“The very notion of accepting Syrian Refugees at this point is in fact a scary proposition given recent events.”

Are you for real? You’re scared of accepting some people RUNNING AWAY from a war? Gosh, those dangerous Syrians, bereft of a country and a home and belongings. Oh wait, you must be a US redstate governor, or a Republican presidential candidate, or someone with a lot of guns in their closets and fear in their cold heart.

Everywhere I look this week, the American narrative is one of fear, despite us Not even being attacked. The terrorists are winning.

America - Land of the Afraid

16 Likes

Really? You seem to be in firm agreement.

You believe that Syrians fleeing violence in that country pose a grave threat to national security, even though there’s no evidence to back that up, and you seem oblivious to the fact that citing the internment of Japanese during WWII in this context is implicit endorsement of that action.

You two ought to grab a beer sometime, I reckon you’d really hit it off.

7 Likes

And by “recent events” I take it you mean “the attacks on Paris, which were carried out by people who were neither Syrian nor refugees.”

21 Likes

12 Likes