Vulnerabilities

America’s anti-hacking laws are so loose, even Donald Trump Jr broke them. So, what do we do about it?

FYI: Someone left 24GB of personal info on 80m US households exposed to the public internet

Obviously some people don’t pay attention to botnet best practices.

3 Likes

Panic as panic alarms meant to keep granny and little Timmy safe prove a privacy fiasco

1 Like

I’m currently freaked out by adverts flogging smart meters and home security systems as a quality of life tool for people with elderly relatives.

As in “Oh, I see from the lack of the usual electricity usage spike that Dad hasn’t had his normal 11:30 cup of coffee and the motion sensors haven’t gone on off for a while, I’d better alert security that there’s been a breakout give him a ring.”

https://www.hivehome.com/services/connected-care-hive-link?icid=mname:homepage-animated-hero.iplacement:slide-1

Our smart plugs and sensors use pattern detection to get to know your loved one’s routines and detect any changes. For example, on your Hive app you can see what time they pop the kettle on in the morning.

2 Likes

That’s been big in Japan for years.

https://web-japan.org/trends/11_tech-life/tec180215.html

2 Likes

Well, of course the Japanese always get the future before the UK.

I will say I’d be a lot happier about 24hr surveillance for my own good if it was provided by a robot in a natty trilby.

4 Likes

ace827d101a2326b3e1cb8bea010a3cc

Okay, okay. Not a trilby. Or, technically, a robot. Best I could do at short notice.

3 Likes

It’s not chicken feed: Million-dollar meal deal for livestock sabotaged by hackers… and, er, exchange rates

Let adware be treated as malware, Canuck boffins declare after breaking open Wajam ad injector

Intrusive adware is malware.

4 Likes

Yup. I have absolutely no qualms about blocking ads. My primary reason being that you cannot trust the ads being served aren’t delivering malicious payloads but when you’re using a metered connection on a mobile network it just destroys your data allowance and intrusive adware makes some sites unusable.

5 Likes

Emailed plaintext invoices? Well, it was a few years ago

Ha Ha Ha…

As if anything has changed in that respect.

This kind of case is why shipping lawyers think they are the ‘real’ lawyers.

And the kind of thing that turns so many bright eyed young students off the law. There are only so many cases about shipments of copra from South Africa to Khartoum via Donegal (for insurance reasons obviously) or pignuts from Brazil to Monaco or whatever that you can read before your desire to fight for the downtrodden is thoroughly extinguished.

I mean I challenge any lawyer who isn’t a shipping nut to read something like this and not want to weep:

1. By a written contract confirmation dated 16 September 2015 drawn up by Vicorus SA (“Vicorus”) as intermediary broker, and signed on behalf of the parties, A agreed to sell and K agreed to buy 5,000 metric tonnes 2% more or less at sellers’ option of Romanian sunflower meal in bulk for US$229 per m.t. FOB stowed/trimmed 1 safe berth, 1 safe port Galati, Romania, for shipment in the second half of October 2015.

That can literally be the extent of the contract - traditionally scribbled down on the back of a fag packet in an office in Port Said or Piraeus. And it’s brilliant (because it tells those with the knowledge everything they need to know) and vital for our continued existence but, my word, it’s dull.

3 Likes

Backup your files with CrashPlan! Except this file type. No, not that one either. Try again…

…aaand - it’s gone.

2 Likes

iPhone gyroscopes, of all things, can uniquely ID handsets on anything earlier than iOS 12.2

I got another one of those emails that says (in essence) “I have taken over your computer, I can see your personal videos and what you do in them, you nasty person you. Send me bitcoin or else.”

The new twist with this one, is that they included (in plain text) a password that I recognize. It was only used on one specific website, and I’d already been warned it was compromised (I have monitoring set up as a result of the OPM breach.)

I’d already disabled the account in question; I think I’d used it exactly once. But I didn’t quite expect this is the way they’d use that trove of passwords… FWIW

(P.S. spellchecker assumed I meant “bicorn” not “bitcoin,” or maybe the perpetrator think’s he’s Napoleon?)

6 Likes
2 Likes