Vulnerabilities

Yeah, just saw this -

Lastly, I want to re-emphasise a point I made earlier on: there were no email addresses in the social security number files. If you find yourself in this data breach via HIBP, there’s no evidence your SSN was leaked, and if you’re in the same boat as me, the data next to your record may not even be correct.

4 Likes

My Pixel is an unlocked device. As @NukeML speculated, it’s probably limited by carrier-issued models.

I bought my phone independently of my mobile plan, which isn’t uncommon here in Europe. As I said, no such option.

Sorry; I missed that. Reading comprehension fail.

1 Like

That’s OK. I don’t think I said

3 Likes
5 Likes

frustrated the missing GIF by STARZ

inadvertently published the passwords to its back-end database in a file that was freely available from its homepage until today

8 Likes

Original article… or at least the one everyone is citing.

5 Likes
1 Like
5 Likes

10 Likes

Columbus Mayor Andrew Ginther said on August 13 that a “breakthrough” in the city’s forensic investigation of the breach found that the sensitive files Rhysida obtained were either encrypted or corrupted, making them “unusable” to the thieves. Ginther went on to say the data’s lack of integrity was likely the reason the ransomware group had been unable to auction off the data.

Shortly after Ginther made his remarks, security researcher David Leroy Ross contacted local news outlets and presented evidence that showed the data Rhysida published was fully intact and contained highly sensitive information regarding city employees and residents. Ross, who uses the alias Connor Goodwolf, presented screenshots and other data that showed the files Rhysida had posted included names from domestic violence cases and Social Security numbers for police officers and crime victims. Some of the data spanned years.

On Thursday, the city of Columbus sued Ross for alleged damages for criminal acts, invasion of privacy, negligence, and civil conversion. The lawsuit claimed that downloading documents from a dark web site run by ransomware attackers amounted to him “interacting” with them and required special expertise and tools. The suit went on to challenge Ross alerting reporters to the information, which is claimed would not be easily obtained by others.

“Only individuals willing to navigate and interact with the criminal element on the dark web, who also have the computer expertise and tools necessary to download data from the dark web, would be able to do so,” city attorneys wrote. “The dark web-posted data is not readily available for public consumption. Defendant is making it so.”

The same day, a Franklin County judge granted the city’s motion for a temporary restraining order against Ross. It bars the researcher “from accessing, and/or downloading, and/or disseminating” any city files that were posted to the dark web. The motion was made and granted “ex parte,” meaning in secret before Ross was informed of it or had an opportunity to present his case.

In a press conference Thursday, Columbus City Attorney Zach Klein defended his decision to sue Ross and obtain the restraining order.

"This is not about freedom of speech or whistleblowing,” he said. “This is about the downloading and disclosure of stolen criminal investigatory records. This effect is to get [Ross] to stop downloading and disclosing stolen criminal records to protect public safety.”

7 Likes

Green Berets Hijacked WiFi To Control Home Security System Then Vanish In Mock Raid

ETA:

3 Likes

… not new but I just saw this

1 Like
3 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

Had a look at this, you need physical access to the key, and some pretty specialized equipment, just the investment in that means you’re hunting pretty high value targets, or a government agency.

1 Like
5 Likes