VW really is going to become Voltswagen

Originally published at: VW really is going to become Voltswagen | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Ironically, the one car they will be unable to manufacture will be…the Volt wagon.

6 Likes

VW’s PR firm sure did a great job getting free publicity.

3 Likes

I could swear there was actually a “Wacky Pack” sticker or trading card back in the 70’s that used the name “Voltswagon”, with images of lightning shooting out of a VW bug.

8 Likes

As far as i know, from another article i read, only their electric cars will be branded as Voltswagen

4 Likes

I drive a gas VW from '74 and I approve of this change. Can’t wait to convert my T2 to electric! :minibus::zap:

2 Likes

The Jalopnik team is quite skeptical (VW doesn’t even own the voltswagen.com URL) but it’s going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

1 Like

There is no chance they are going to do that in any meaningful way.

Five doll hairs says they drop this within a month.

2 Likes

Yup. No surprise here.

6 Likes

What are you waiting for then?
https://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=226

Good work, some no-doubt-expensive branding consultancy. I can’t decide between contempt and despair for this afternoon.

1 Like

I sated searching about a more German name, like Funkwagen, and I found this obscure 70s prog group…

2 Likes

There is a sort of “meeeeeh” vibe to the notion of “volk,” at least in retrospect…

Yet to my mind, “Voltswagen” sounds pretty dorky. I own a GTI. And am half Ashkenazi. :man_shrugging: Who knows…

How about Nina Hagen?

1 Like

Oh please, please, please let this become the next Reich Wing cancel culture panic. I’d love to see them twist themselves into pretzels defending VW’s particular, erm… heritage.

5 Likes

Watt? Ohm my!

(And so it begins).

6 Likes

I’d be interested if they actually came up with the Buzz Microbus at a price that didn’t make it look like a pregnant Tesla.

1 Like

too bad my years of owning a Jetta will keep me from ever having a Voltswagen.

the moment they told me that driving 30 miles on a construction riddled I-35 without brakelights was a reasonable distance so they would not reimburse me for fixing their recall locally… well… that kind of sealed me ever giving them a dime, regardless of an effing name change.

1 Like

there are some pissed-off journalists on twitter right now. i guess instead of saying “no comment” VW’s marketing people told >1 reporter that the news was true.