Waffle House has its own record label and the songs are in the restaurant jukeboxes

Originally published at: Waffle House has its own record label and the songs are in the restaurant jukeboxes | Boing Boing

1 Like

This is a wonderful thing.

1 Like

Sounds familiar to anyone who has lived in a small town in GA!

1 Like

I wrote some videos for Waffle House in the mid-90s and the guys who created the music for those videos turned out they wrote a lot of Waffle House songs. They said they got a surprising amount of play on the jukeboxes but they were paid a flat fee for them. These guys were really talented, the kind of musicians who can hear a song once and then play it on virtually any instrument. I had lunch with them once and there was an older black man who joined us. About halfway through the meal I realized it was soul singer Eddie Floyd, known for his hit Knock on Wood. Good times.

4 Likes
2 Likes

I like the song by Stephen Colbert and Sturgill Simpson, “No Shirt, No Shoes, No Knuckleheads

Interesting tidbit that came up on a Discogs search for Waffle Records - Jerry Buckner of Buckner & Garcia (“Pac-Man Fever”) wrote and produced a lot of those Waffle House songs, including my personal favorite, “There’s 844,739 Ways to Eat a Hamburger at Waffle House”.

2 Likes

hmmm… wonder if they play this one?

You forgot “scattered.”

Ah, there it is!

Also:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.