Waitress receives tip: God wants you to go home and cook

Or married couples who both need to work because a single salary isn’t enough to support them both, something which is all too common.
Given that where I live, you need three times the median income to buy a house, the economics seem to be pushing people towards polygamous relationships where everyone works…

24 Likes

I’d like to put forth a very serious question to any and all high and mighty christian males who have this viewpoint espoused on the napkin…

Who would be serving you in a restaurant?
Who would be working the register at Wal-Mart to ring you out?
Who would your secretary or admin?
Who would be your Nurse?
Who would teach your children in a school?

*Now while I do not believe these things to be “women’s work” they are common occupations most notably held by women within our society (This is a fact from the DOL, I am not bringing it up for debate, but as a statistic).

So…if the women who normally held these roles did as you say and went back home and stayed there to care for their husbands, brothers, fathers, children, etc. Who would do these things? Would YOU? Would you consider a job as an elementary school teacher acceptable for a good christian man such as yourself? Would you consider it a good career choice for your son to become a nurse?

I am asking a seriously question to these sorts of people with this mind set. If you had your way, who would do the work?

14 Likes

20/20 or some similar show years ago would meet with two income families that were struggling financially (or just unhappy with their lives). The conclusion sometimes was for one of them to quit their job. The family could save on transportation, uniforms, childcare, food, etc. Sometimes they would come out ahead financially, maybe break even, or lose a bit of money. But it gave them an option to change their lifestyle in a potentially positive way. Invariably, one of them would say something like “You mean I’ve been working and we’ve been miserable for nothing?!?!”

So while I 100% disagree with the reasoning and tone of the note, it’s hard to discount that quitting her job could be a positive. But that’s for her to decide.

4 Likes

15 Likes

It’s about the only place I can get fried okra these here parts.

7 Likes

Just a little note on the actual website name…

5 Likes

Why wasn’t the napkin writer home either preparing or enjoying a home-cooked meal?

Too bad “hypocrisy” was the 11th commandment that didn’t make the cut.

There is zero amount of “love thy neighbor” in that.

Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Supposedly the napkin-writer agrees with the first and great commandment; But the second is like unto it and is far more important than home cooking a meal for her adulterous husband (who’s off violating one of the 10 commandments.

12 Likes

I waited tables in TN and SC during and after university. The worst was Sunday lunch. I received tracts about Jesus, Senator Bill Frist (R - TN) election materials, etc. but rarely more than 10% from Christian crowd. If they’re supposed to give the church/god 10%, they sure as hell aren’t giving the waitress more than that.

19 Likes

I didn’t even read this whole thing because I just can’t even right now. You know, most people would love to be able to stay at home and take care of their kids. It was the best 5 years of my life. Not everyone can afford to do that. I couldn’t afford to do that. Fucking hand outs? Really? Personally I think tipping should be abolished and replaced with a regular wage - but until that day, the live on your tips and that is the social contract you are part of. And holy fucking shit, as a Christian reservist this sort of thing just boggles my mind when you pull out the God card, because Christ preached charity, I don’t think he even said anything about not working.

Ok - done rambling. Here is the obligatory pop culture reference

26 Likes

I got one of these once. Did not help pay the rent. Was not appreciated. Not sure it’s as bad as this, though.

15 Likes

You’d be surprised how often being waited on gives people the impression that they are in a position to moralize to the people waiting on them. Literally everyone who works in food service with customers is going to have a story like this.

27 Likes

You have my sympathies but isn’t it better to do without than have bad fried okra? Cracker Barrel’s, in my experience, is the same as Captain D’s. I suspect both buy it frozen from the same source.

5 Likes

As mentioned above, it really does seem quite surprising that the author managed to get out so much ink – and in such tiny writing, too – without tearing the napkin. Perhaps it took several drafts to get it all out, and the misplaced apostrophes arose from growing impatience? Maybe they make napkins out of stronger stuff down there. Or maybe all it takes is a $20,000 pen?

5 Likes

Have you tried making it at home?

8 Likes

Sweet FSM, did I hate working on Sunday. My theory is that they felt that they’d been absolved of all sins by going to church, then the slate was clean for a fresh week of assholery, and they didn’t want to waste any time getting down to business.

28 Likes

Fun fact: “A woman’s place is in the home” appears nowhere in the Bible. It’s a propaganda slogan used by the US Government in an effort to free up jobs for GIs returning from the war.

Fun fact: Uneducated American men used to earn enough money to keep a non-earning wife at home. This was called the “middle class.” Oddly, people who feel women should not have jobs are almost always opposed to the minimum wage.

42 Likes

Stuff like this is reported all the time. The Westboro Baptist Church is a thing that exists. These people are definitely out there.

Why would the waitress make it up? For 15 seconds of internet fame? Part of a covert organisation of liberals seeking to discredit conservative Christians? Boredom?

US society is full of rampant, public, unapologetic misogyny right now, and you would bet that she’s fibbing?

15 Likes

*Unless thou “lovest thyself” by constantly criticizing thyself, and telling thyself thyself is doing everything wrong, and shaming thyself for not living by some gross stone-age misogynistic fantasy. Then love thy neighbor as would Mr. Rogers. You know what, scrap everything else, just put “Be as Mr. Rogers Would Be.” Screw this Jesus guy, he’s too open to misinterpretation; We’ve got all of Mr. Rogers’ stuff on tape.

14 Likes

Yes, but it’s generally quicker to get your hands on a sauté pan than a rock inside a restaurant.

6 Likes

Assuming these idiots come back to the same restaurant, they must really love the taste of spit in their food.

11 Likes