Walking on a crystal-clear frozen lake

could i invite you to my next party?

“I thought it looked shallow” is right up there with “i thought it wasn’t loaded” in the list of incredibly stupid ways to die. Also, getting your clothes soaked in ice water in midwinter in the middle of the countryside is not a good idea under any circumstances.

1 Like

Just another winter’s day in Canada.

I am sure it’s summer. he’s not wearing a shirt.

1 Like

This thread seems pretty clearly divided between those who grew up around frozen bodies of water, and those who didn’t. Or maybe some who did but didn’t get the memo.

Falling, fully clothed, through thin ice 15 feet from shore is soooo not what you want to do. That kind of ice is going to create jagged shards, you’re almost certainly going to get soaking wet all over (as opposed to just plopping straight down through a neat hole and casually stepping out onto intact ice), and you’re going to break lots more ice in the o-so-short-but-painfully-long scramble to shore. In the video, the person appears to be wearing sneakers… good luck getting traction on that lakebottom with your legs going numb almost immediately.

Once you reach shore, you’ll be in a race against time to get somewhere warm, preferably a hospital; getting to shore in itself is not at all the solution to your problem. As a bonus, if it’s cold enough, once out of the water your wet clothes will start going stiff, glued to your skin, in seconds.

The people who made that video are both very stupid, and very lucky.

The people who made the first video need to lace up some damn skates. What a waste of perfect ice.

1 Like

Nah, that has a much lower melting point.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.