Wall shelf converts into desk

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/30/wall-shelf-converts-into-desk.html

6 Likes

That is pretty cool for a small apartment. Though I think if I had such a thing, I’d inevitably put things on the dividing lines between shelves, absent mindedly lift it up and have everything fall on the floor. Either that, or always have so much on the table that it could never switch back to shelves…

14 Likes

That is awesome! Ever since I started living in a boat, I have become obsessed with these cool uses of space. Those tinny house shows have taken on a whole new meaning to me.

9 Likes

That is a nifty set up. If I had the need for something like that I would for sure see about getting it set up/installed.

3 Likes

I was about to ask, but I can also use a search engine.

Here you go. 399 bucks.

7 Likes

The downside is the things I store on shelves generally aren’t the things I want on my desk

4 Likes

samesies-gif-2

2 Likes

I think the real question is whether things you have on your desk/table are things you could live with being stored on a shelf.

4 Likes

#shelflife

5 Likes

“ it’s usually better to just use the two different things you need”

Well, hoi polloi aren’t we spatially privileged :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But for a good chunk of the new work-from-home folks who live in small spaces, this could a nice solution. I was scoping out some wall space near our front door to put a fold down work surface, since the kids own pretty much every other spot in our flat. The trick is where does the chair live when it’s up, and what does the underside look like when it’s up.

3 Likes

Living in 638 sq ft I appreciate this item.

4 Likes

You could always get a folding chair and lean it against the wall by the shelf.

Watching the video, it doesn’t look like you see the underside when it folds up. At least not any more than you do on any other shelving unit.

3 Likes

Why would you install this on a wall that doesn’t have any outlets?

1 Like

Thats not the point. The point is to have a desk that you can leave desk things on and fold away when you need the floor space for something else.

3 Likes

And that is actually a brilliant thing to have, even if you have space.

When you’re also the type who keeps their cup of coffee on the top shelf, that might just come natural. The posters say “do what you love”, “love what you do”, not “does it make sense?” and “is it effective?”

1 Like

What if I want a desk that converts into a wall shelf?

7 Likes

Install it backwards.

11 Likes

Given the bombsite that is my desk, probably not!

1 Like

Sweet. I’d like to see the legs have an adjustable height option, it seems a little low.

Next generation Murphy Bed, or…?

3 Likes