Walmart removes 9/11 WTC tribute display made from Coke cartons

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/09/08/walmart-removes-911-wtc-tribu.html

6 Likes

I don’t know if jet fuel can melt steel beams, but I bet given enough time, Coke Zero could.

45 Likes

One weekend in early September, I went to a sushi place with friends, and someone ordered a “Patriotic Roll”. It arrived as two stacked up rolls with “9/11” written on the plate in eel sauce.

34 Likes

Trump will keep this country safe, so safe your head will spin, believe me, with his plan for foreign colas coming to this country. He will temporarily ban the importation of colas from countries unfriendly to American ideals and values, and all incoming colas will be stopped at the border and consumed under what he calls “Extreme Refreshment”. He calls it “Extreme Refreshment”. “Extreme Refreshment”.*

• Trump 2016!
24 Likes

It’s a display at a Walmart. It’s inherently going to be about commerce, not patriotism, remembrance or anything else… Were people upset because it was made out of coke boxes - or because it existed at all? Because its mere existence was pretty grotesque.

That is pretty bad.

27 Likes

These profound moments sure bring out the thoughtful judgement, good common sense, and impeccable taste for which American enterprise is renowned…

Cough…cough…

27 Likes
14 Likes

We’ve been letting politicians throw it around for just about any reason they feel like for a while now. I’d say this display is far more respectful of the event than they have been.

35 Likes

Well, W did say that the best we we all can fight ‘terror’ is to go shopping.

22 Likes

BEAT ME TO IT! 

I don’t see the big deal with this display. We throw the flag up on everything imaginable, revolutionary and civil war things on the same. I guess we have to wait another 100 years before we can have 9/11 gum and napkins.

15 Likes

There should be no referencing outside culture in our halls of commerce.

NO RELIGION.

NO WAR.

NO FLAGS.

#KEEP OUR TEMPLES PURE

17 Likes

I understand such displays are often the work of the supplier (i.e. Coca-Cola) and not the actual store – though I suppose the store at least has to approve it.

6 Likes

If Bush had been there when the Walmart employees took down that coke tower he’d have used it as an excuse to invade Target.

37 Likes

Did Pepsi try to fly a plane into it or something?

11 Likes

How dare they sully the great name of COCA COLA with references to 9/11 ?! OUTRAGE!

3 Likes

Imagine what will happen when someone tries to take a carton of Coke Zero from the bottom of one of the towers to put in their cart.

10 Likes

I don’t get it. What’s “grotesque” about it? A bit tacky perhaps, but I really don’t see any problem with a display like this. Some people just like to be outraged at something all the time I guess.

10 Likes

I was going to say something and then I remembered seeing “Heroes of the Alamo Bottled Water” once in San Antonio and then realized America has no tact.

14 Likes

The idea that the Coca Cola corporation would ever try to use patriotic sentiment as a way of selling beverages is just offensive.

11 Likes

Not offended by this any more than staged reunions at sporting events or any of the rest of this type of nonsense.

While not offended I would try and get a friend to join me in dressing as a hijacker and we could crash in to them with shopping carts several minutes apart.

25 Likes