Want a Small Soldiers reboot? This proof-of-concept trailer is stunning

Originally published at: Want a Small Soldiers reboot? This proof-of-concept trailer is stunning | Boing Boing

1 Like

Count Me In Rick And Morty GIF

3 Likes

This reminds me of how the Star Wars prequels suddenly became cool after all the little kids that watched them grew up. Because I saw Small Soldiers back in the 90’s, and it was a steaming pile of sh*t.

2 Likes

I kept trying to place the original as it looked somewhat familiar, but just wouldn’t resolve for me. I looked up the Wikipedia article on it and I’m pretty sure I never saw it, as I kept picturing a film with Robin Williams. I finally realized I was thinking of Toys. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

I love this movie. The Gorgonites were peaceful, the Commandos were the antagonists, I used this to help illustrate to my son that appearances can be deceiving.

Bring back Kirsten Dunst as the mom, the plot being her kids are leaving for college and she’s cleaning out the attic and putting stuff up for sale and she finds a single Commando that escaped the EMP (occurred in the first film) and it powers up and tries to hunt down the Gorgonites in Yosemite.

2 Likes

Unfortunately the people behind this have a bad track record (also this is for a game, not a film). Comadran Studios (a game dev studio) recently made a Medabots mobile game, for which the owner more or less stole the IP from the original Japanese studio Imagineer. The key being Imagineer’s name for the franchise in Japan is Medarot, while it was renamed to Medabots internationally. There was a court case about it and Comadran somehow won. It’s not clear if Comadran actually has the rights to Small Soldiers… but considering what happened with Medabots I wouldn’t be surprised if something similarly shady is also happening.

Edit: Also the Medabots game was apparently peddling NFTs, so take that as you will…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.