Watch the trailer for Buzz Lightyear's origin story!

Originally published at: Watch the trailer for Buzz Lightyear's origin story! | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Except that they already established that the in-universe/real-life spinoff show those toys were based on was the Saturday Morning Cartoon Buzz Lightyear of Star Command.

17 Likes

Thanks, I hate it!

5 Likes

Is the deep question “who asked for this?”

It does look beautiful, as would be expected from Disney, but they really gotta stop milking the Toy Story teat.

Coming Fall 2023 - the dark true story of a Vaudeville legend who would go on to inspire one of the most popular toys of all time. Directed by James Gunn, Disney proudly presents “Reach for the Sky,” starring Nicolas Cage as James “Woody” Randalson, a hard-drinking womanizer scratching out a living when cowboys were ‘poisoning their own waterhole’. Rated R.

16 Likes

Another important question: do the Star Wars and Star Trek franchises exist within the same universe as this new iteration of Buzz Lightyear? And is Zurg still canonically Buzz’s father?

9 Likes

Also the R2D2 impression the cat was doing.

1 Like

+1000 for unexpected Bowie.

So this is the in-universe inevitable big-budget remake/reboot/recycle, which Andy and his college mates watch the hell out of while stoned.

17 Likes

Clearly, the Real Buzz Lightyear’s parents were big fans of Buzz Lightyear of Star Command. Like, REALLY big fans… Change-your-surname and name-your-firstborn big.

Mr & Mrs Zurg Lightyear, we salute you!

8 Likes

If there is one thing I know about show business in general - and especially for Hollywood - it’s that any teat will be milked if there’s even a drop of milk available from it.

5 Likes

That theory actually makes more sense than the other explanations. It could be something like the Toy Story universe’s version of Michael Bay’s Transformers.

7 Likes

I might buy that Lightyear inspired Buzz Lightyear of Starcommand, but only if Patrick Warburton was still doing the voice, and that they have Mira and XR and Booster in the movie. Damn, I miss that show I guess.

3 Likes

Could be worse, they could have brought back Tim “the tool” Allen.

4 Likes

Yeah, this makes no sense. Also, what was great about Buzz was his self-importance coupled with his slapstick foolishness. Actually making him a serious hero removes that.

This makes the most sense, but then they should have the original Buzz and Woody silhouetted watching the movie, a la Mystery Science Theater 3000. “You’d never do that, Buzz!” "Actually I was trained at Star Fleet Academy for this very scenario, although I’ve never had the opportunity to put it into effect."

6 Likes

Oooor, this is the original more adult oriented movie that the Saturday morning cartoon is based on… think Star Wars → Droids.

4 Likes

Show business in general, yes, but especially Disney.(witness among others the endless Star Wars tedia). If even a scintilla of milk remains The Mouse will sniff it out and mould it into a feature (and a TV series, and a book series, and a sheets & blanket set, and and and).

1 Like

The problem with that theory is that the visual effects for Lightyear are beyond anything that existed prior to the original Toy Story in 1995. They were still watching cathode-ray TVs and everything.

The idea of Andy & friends watching a movie that’s far more realistically rendered than their actual universe is kind of amusing though.

11 Likes

We just need a mid-credit stinger showing a middle-aged Andy in a movie theater lamenting how they keep trying to (re)monetize his childhood.

18 Likes

Whether or not Fred Willard was more or less realistic than a cartoon is debatable, but I miss him either way.

6 Likes

Discuss the background among yourselves, it’s interesting.

For me… I absolutely adored this. Nostalgic without being a total Toy Story retread; great looking animation; wonderful use of Bowie song; and nothing about the story was given away by the trailer.

I’m all in. Can’t wait to see it. Took my kids to see the Toy Story movies when they were all kids, now they’re adults, and I’ll go on my own if I have to. Pixar always puts out great stuff.

4 Likes

I had no idea he passed. I really enjoyed him as a “hey, it’s that guy!” kind of actor.

3 Likes