Watch the trailer for Buzz Lightyear's origin story!

1 Like

But… what will Debian do for release names?

3 Likes

5 Likes

They should have gone “Galaxy Quest” and made it about the slovenly actor who play Buzz Lightyear on the TV show the toy is based on. Plus perfect Tim Allen synchronicity.

4 Likes

Fresh-off-of-Captain-America Chris Evans seems like a fairly thematic choice, I’d say.

1 Like

I could see that “Lightyear” was the movie that created the spinoff cartoon “Buzz Lightyear of Star Command” Bonus if they style it quite like a period film, early 1980s, maybe post Star Wars.

Just like Ghostbusters later spawned the The Real Ghostbusters cartoon. The characters are simplified and personalities changed up a bit

And Six-Million Dollar Man and Bionic Woman inspired the Bionic Six cartoon. Bionic, but family! And set in the future! You can recognize the likeness of Lee Majors and Lindsay Wagner, but the mom has been given psionic powers instead to make them all distinct.

I ran home to make sure I didn’t miss these shows.

1 Like

“Forget it, Jake. It’s Fiction Town.”

2 Likes

So I’ve been mulling over this off and on all day. And basically where I’ve landed is this:

Hollywood strip-mining every existing franchise for the deepest most obscurest tidbits of lore that like 1% of viewers even care about (but who also spend so much money l on merchandise) has become increasingly exhausting. But, Toy Story is probably one of Pixar’s least-milked franchises. There’ve been 3 4 movies over a span of 25 years plus a handful of shorts. And I guess a cartoon I never saw? Anyway it’s not like Disney has gone full Star Wars on it. Hell, I nearly forgot the 4th one even happened.

Did we need this movie? No, not really. But then, we don’t really need any movie when it comes right down to it. Plus, Pixar seems to have a spot deep in their hearts for this setting, and as far as I can tell, they haven’t missed yet.

3 Likes

That’s sarcasm, right?

Four feature films, a bunch of shorts, a Saturday Morning cartoon spinoff, at least two different Disney theme park rides and literally billions of dollars’ worth of toys and merch sold over the last quarter century. What Pixar franchise has been milked harder? They sure didn’t do all that for The Good Dinosaur.

1 Like

Why does it take place in the Star Wards universe. That felt very out of place.

Next up, maybe they’re going to do the same for Woody, followed by a Jetsons-meet-the-Flintstones style crossover.

1 Like

That’s an understatement. Several Disney parks have entire Toy Story Lands dedicated to the franchise. Worldwide the Disney parks have at least 30 different Toy Story themed rides and I might be missing a few. Not to mention the themed restaurants, parades, walk-around characters…

4 Likes

Or a Cronenbergian body-horror film about the real-life creature that inspired Mr. Potato Head.

5 Likes

Wait until the movie comes out, watch it, and then tear it apart if they must, I say.

2 Likes

Then they eat the cow…

1 Like

As a fun movie, unrelated to anything else… this looks AWESOME!!!

2 Likes

The best part is that they finally got a new actor to voice Buzz Lightyear.

3 Likes

There are dozens of cartoons from that era that are like this. If they thought they might be able to build a toy line around it, they made a cartoon for it and pushed it out the door, regardless of the suitability of the source material for children.

4 Likes

I wasn’t sure Chris Evans was ready to play an iconic clean-cut hero from a militaristic government agency but he sure nailed that “and…” in the trailer.

5 Likes

Still a step up in my book.

4 Likes