Want to avoid Canada's mandatory 14-day quarantine? Be a billionaire

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/18/want-to-avoid-canadas-mandatory-14-day-quarantine-be-a-billionaire.html

Canada Gov is arguing there was no ministerial exemption but an error by the Canadian Border Services Agency. Probably some form of bribery

cbc (dot) ca/player/play/1790923331940

8 Likes

Believed to have died in the US!? Great passive voice The Guardian.

2 Likes

ETA: Welcome to BBS, comrade!

9 Likes

That’s annoying. I place large orders to Uline every week and had no idea.

Time to look for another supplier.

3 Likes

They’re biggly Trump supporters.

2 Likes

I started getting Uline catalogs for some reason and this woman has a commentary page in the back that’s just completely unhinged, raging against the dangers of marijuana, taxes, and pretty much any kind of business regulations.

3 Likes

Agreed. The Guardian’s precision has gone downhill in recent times. I think the author is trying to denote that the number 200,000 is believed to be correct but is probably not. But the sloppy phrasing is par for the course these days. The sub-editors are asleep or non-existent, and many of the guilty authors are those who post online from US and Australia, and probably slip past the newsroom subs that way. But it’s still my paper of choice every morning and probably always will be - its values are those I associate with, even if it is finding it harder to live by them in every article every day. Facts are sacred, comment is free.

1 Like

Much as the current Canadian government is no stranger to corruption, nor above log-rolling for friends/donors, and certainly has no aversion to toadying rich people, they would be far more likely to do so for some billionaire with some eco-hip silicon valley sales babble, and very much not likely to succumb to the blandishments of hard right Trumpistas.

“Never ascribe to malice (or corruption) that which can be explained by stupidity.” (Hanlon’s Razor)

2 Likes

The official response, for what is worth. Note that the Canadian government, while far from perfect, is still normal and functional in a way that Americans have forgotten how to identify. I’m inclined to believe this was an accident, as Blair seems well meaning and has come down on the right side of all the COVID issues thus far. Call off the dogs, Americans. Not everything is terrible.

2 Likes

image                    image
                    Which is Richard Uihlein?      Which is Harry Lime?

“It’s overhyped,” she told the Guardian in April. “And I don’t wish anybody ill will. You know I don’t wish that, but I think it hurts certain ages in certain places and largely in a lot of parts of the world. In the country it’s not as rampant as the press would have you make it.”

Victims? Don’t be melodramatic. Look down there. Tell me. Would you really feel any pity if one of those dots stopped moving forever? If I offered you twenty thousand pounds for every dot that stopped, would you really, old man, tell me to keep my money, or would you calculate how many dots you could afford to spare? Free of income tax, old man. Free of income tax - the only way you can save money nowadays.

2 Likes

You know a society is pretty sick when they equate how much money is in a person’s off shore account with their arbitrary intelligence quotient.

1 Like

Me too!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.