Warning issued after Moët champagne contaminated with Ecstasy

ZOMG, I love a little MDMA at festivals, but it’s probably the worst-tasting stuff I’ve ever willingly ingested. There is no way champaign “contaminated” with is would be even remotely drinkable.

1 Like

I have to wonder what informal supply chain situation would lead to this.

I’m not an active player in, um, ‘regulatory arbitrage’; but my layman’s assumption would be that the cost effective move for counterfeiting fancy champagne would be to start with one of the readily available and fairly cheap sparkling wines that cannot legally be described as champagne but strongly resemble it in almost all respects; and the cost effective move would definitely not involve providing large amounts of controlled substances to customers who don’t want them, rather than other customers who would pay good money for them if diluted properly.

Some sort of cross-contamination in a black market facility handling multiple party-related materials on insufficiently separated production lines?

2 Likes

It could be also the case that people wanted actual champagne, but they reached a seller that was selling “Champagne” for people that actually didn’t want champagne but MDMA.

I remember a bakery that sold both regular cakes, and cakes with a little pouch underside with some particular white substances that weren’t normally expected in a cake.

2 Likes

This. You couldn’t substitute a liquid with completely different properties and expect it to pass. I suspect that these bottles were supposed to go to a very special distribution channel and sell for considerably more than champagne.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.