Warning issued after Moët champagne contaminated with Ecstasy

Originally published at: Warning issued after Moët champagne contaminated with Ecstasy | Boing Boing

10 Likes

Never buy champagne from the interweb?

16 Likes

She keeps her Moet et Chandon
In her pill cabinet
“Let them snort beans”, she says
Just like Molly Antoinette
A built-in remedy
For Putin and Smolensky
At anytime an invitation
You can’t decline

27 Likes

Once in a liquor store I overheard someone asking if they had Moët & Chandon and I couldn’t resist and said, “Oh, yeah, she keeps it in a little pretty cabinet. ‘Let them eat cake’ she says, just like Marie Antoinette.”

Everyone just stared at me and I invited them to come by my house so I could yell at them to get off my lawn.

24 Likes

Here is a bit more background on that story (which happened 2 weeks ago): an article in Insider with a bit of background on the toxicity of MDMA, and an article from German public radio with a lot more details (conveniently piped through Google translate)

Or if you do, drink it in really tiny sips?

5 Likes

If it doesn’t come from the d’Extase region of France, it’s just sparkling MDMA.

38 Likes

Futurama Reaction GIF

31 Likes

In this case, it wasn’t sparkling. However, neither that fact, or the unusal color gave it away, but people did complain at once about the awful taste after they tried it.

7 Likes

Don’t throw it away, let me test it for various reasons, but damn it, don’t put it in the trash.

14 Likes

Going to be very diffifult to regulate dosage. Ever taken a “sip” that is no more, no less, than 0.0005 of an ounce?

Toxicology reports found the champagne contained 1,000 times the normal dose of ecstasy

7 Likes

There’s a normal dose of ecstasy in champaign?

17 Likes

Aww. So close. But how about…

in her pharma cabinet.

…and…

for Putin and Zelenskyy?

4 Likes

Some of us wouldn’t consider that champagne to be ‘contaminated’, but fortified.

11 Likes

Mmmm - MollyMimosa

10 Likes

Episode 5 Drinking GIF by The Bachelor

11 Likes

What’s the website that I’m not supposed to order from? :wink:

12 Likes

This might be the champagne talking, but, like, I just love every single one of you. Deep down in my bones, you know?

19 Likes

The liquid in the bottle was a reddish/brown color. Contents did not have a noticeable chemical smell, but an aromatic-fruity smell, although this was described by investigators as not “champagne-like”. The liquid contained no carbon dioxide and did not bubble, as is normal for champagne.

The whole story is weird, but the “this is flat, looks and tastes nothing like champagne, but let’s drink it anyways” part is especially baffling.

18 Likes

Probably any hesitation would have ended when someone said, “Don’t me a wimp, just chug it!”

5 Likes

Warning issued after Ecstasy contaminated with Moët champagne?

Also, wasn’t this almost exactly a plot point on Criminal Minds or one of those other procedurals?

4 Likes