Warren campaign works to unseat Senator Collins of Maine

Problem is that moderate Republicans don’t really exist anymore in most states. For example, in my home state of Kansas where many tea party candidates primaried against moderate republicans they did so to such success that the party itself is mostly far right wingnuts. Even moderate republicans (for Kansas) have already moved over to the state Democractic Party. Collins isn’t much of a moderate either. She’s fine with the SCOTUS picks even if they gut Roe v Wade. So, she should go either way.

5 Likes

Like all prolific authors Stephen King has used real people/events/situations as inspirations for characters in his books. I am sure there are plenty of characters in his books based on those who annoyed him.

4 Likes

“I am innocent, I only gave the orders!”

4 Likes

This is a handy reference page. She and McConnell agree with each other 87% of the time on being heinous.

10 Likes

Yes, especially from “moderate centrists” who are blind to the fact that the GOP as an organisation has been dealing in bad faith for decades now.

12 Likes

Um, you should read the rest of what I wrote. There was a bit more to my post than the quoted section.

Seriously, is the rest of the text after the first parpagraph not showing up for you and @armozel?

3 Likes

I don’t see what the rest of your comment adds?

It seems like you’re saying that being targeted by Democrats will make Collins start voting to the right more, not less. Is that not what you’re saying?

I’m saying that a strong, credible, and competitive challenge from the left is more likely to make her push her “moderateness” not her “Trumpiness” as a vote-getting tactic in a state like Maine.

She was probably only considered “moderate” in the first place because she felt Democrats were already breathing down her neck from the left.

If Democrats left her alone and didn’t contest the state, she’d look more like a Senator from a deeply-red state, i.e. Kentucky.

If you meant it all sarcastically, just take this as an argument against the kind of person you were ironically channeling, not yourself…:+1:

2 Likes

Considering the things she has done while in office, calling Collins reasonable and moderate is absurd. She has revealed in many ways, most visibly in her support for Kavanaugh, that she has already thrown away her conscience and her soul to cling to the Republinazi agenda. She needs to go. Period.

There was a missing sarcasm tag, which the edit attempted to correct.

7 Likes

Got it.

Sarcasm is sometimes hard to detect sometimes when people do see politics the way they do.

6 Likes

No, I’m being sarcastic because that’s a stupid centrist talking point that ignores reality. If “just in case this isn’t clear, I’m saying that Susan Collins is worth slightly less than a warm bag of shit and deserves to be booted out on her ass, along with any other “moderate” Republican who does a song and dance about being disappointed by what the GOP has become while enabling it and voting with it at every chance” didn’t clarify that, I’m not sure what to else to say

Oh, FFS, I give up.

7 Likes

I think the reason people weren’t getting the sarcasm is that even a person who hated Collins could still argue that the Democrats shouldn’t challenge her strongly.

The sad reason for that is that it’s not an unknown position among centrist Democrats.

9 Likes

That’s a fair point. There are also some folks who literally stopped reading after the first sentence and hit “reply,” so that doesn’t help.

7 Likes

Sarcasm’s always a risk worth taking.

8 Likes

Warren should knock off at least one Republican senator, because if she becomes president she will be replaced by a Republican senator.

2 Likes

I’m sure that will be the next thing the right appropriates in an effort to change its meaning, thus further muddying everything. /s …(or is it? j/k… n/j/k)

Good luck in getting rid of that parasite! We gotta boot them all.

2 Likes

Most savvy centrist Democrats see districts or states with “moderate” Republicans as an opportunity, a place where they can be competitive.

Collins plays the same role for Republicans as Manchin does for Democrats. As much as we gnash our teeth over his abysmal political positions, he is a reliably reelectable person with a D after their name, contributing to the authority of the Democratic Minority (hopefully soon Majority) Leader.

1 Like

You appear to be a victim of Poe’s Law in a bad way. :slight_smile:

Sarcasm doesn’t work in print because too many crazies say ridiculous things on purpose. Without some kind of visual signal people can’t tell the difference.

2 Likes

I donated right after the Kavanaugh vote. Look, it’s up to $4M now!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.