Washing beats wiping: bidets save trees and water

I’ve traveled internationally for years. A few years ago, I actually decided to figure out and try out the ‘hi-tech’ bidet seat in my hotel room in Taipei. It literally changed my life.

I bought a Brondell Swash 1000 shortly after returning home, and I very happily use it multiple times a day. There is no going back for me (except when I’m not at home).

Americans laugh at these, but you’re in the dark ages until you’ve tried one. It’s a superior (and much more enjoyable) way to get the job done. Try it.

5 Likes

Same here, really. After getting a cheapo one (because getting a Brondell Swash or a Toto Washlet would cost many many hundreds of dollars just to add an outlet), I was a convert. The water isn’t warm but it only gets super chilly in the dead of winter. The oddest thing for me has been how weirded out houseguests are; they’ll ask what the “NASA doohickey” on the toilet is and when I explain it, they get all uncomfortable and go “OOOKAAAY THEN” at the idea of using a bidet, then often make a joke about french people or something. It’s very strange how resistant Americans are to anything dealing with private hygiene.

4 Likes

We tried the gadget. It grossed out visitors to our house. Now I use a few pieces of paper towel wet with water. Works great!!

Your houseguests were grossed out by a spray of water, so you personally stopped using it?

12 Likes

14 Likes

6 Likes

Ha.

We had one of those at work. Of course it wasn’t supposed to be, and the water was, shall we say, used. And being one of those f*cking self-flushing toilets, it did not wait till you were done.

2 Likes

I know when we get around to remodeling our bathroom, I’m putting in a stand-up, floor length urinal.

5 Likes

Oh, well played, sir. Well played indeed.

2 Likes

17 Likes

I’m sorry, but I refuse to believe that a bidet eliminates the need for toilet paper in all cases. Maybe at fire hose pressure, but… nah.

2 Likes

At SFO they had these weird electric urinals. Maybe I was using it the wrong way, but it really was a CRUMMY experience. I don’t know why I need to get blasted by hot air when I pee.

30 Likes

Insert ‘water twerk.gif’ here.

2 Likes

dyson have this new portable one too, i dunno

13 Likes

The Dyson Fleshlight?

12 Likes

I consider myself a long time B-Boinger (12+years) and don’t recall seeing bidets before. Maybe because now I am contemplating a bathroom remodel that includes a bidet, along with a nice little squat toilet, I am now just noticing bidets.

If I have an option to purchase something I am interested in and BoingBoing can get some points/credits/money then I am all in for future posts of what the editors/writers post.

Now to the larger question:[quote=“ficuswhisperer, post:2, topic:101385”]
Why is BB so enamored with our assholes?
[/quote]

And now this.

Why is BB so enamored with our bananas.

Banana Bidet anyone?

2 Likes

Just don’t get it mixed up with the banana phone.

4 Likes

I ass-ume the last item there is for dealing with constipation?

If the thought of spraying cold water up your backside gives you pause, there’s this one:

A little more expenisve, but worth every penny, though you do need to run the sink for a minute or two to get warm water into the system. I installed one after a trip to Japan made me realize that we live like savages in the U.S. The imported electronic Japanese seats wouldn’t fit my bowl, so until I get a new apartment this half-measure does the trick nicely.

3 Likes

Multi-function devices have been all the rage for decades now.

1 Like