Washing beats wiping: bidets save trees and water

Just imagine the ruckus if it was a smart bidet with internet access and oh I don’t know… a built in camera?

1 Like

Seriously, does weed help with constipation?

A literal interpretation of the Internet of Shit @doctorow is always going on about?

3 Likes

Pretty sure we still use toilet paper with our bidets. But yes a lot less paper is used, and we use a towel to dry our clean derriers.

Americans, on the other hand, elect their crap. Good luck with that…

4 Likes

Would be good fiber if you ate it.

But I was referring to the corkscrew roto-rooter look. :stuck_out_tongue:

As a big big fan of Japanese toilets, I’ll say that yes you use a little toilet paper, but just one wipe, so it’s a lot less. We call it a “victory wipe”.

2 Likes

Ooo nice to see a model with warm water, good idea. I installed one of the cheapie cold water only ones at a friend’s place and love it, but sometimes that cold water is a little too “refreshing”.

And I’m surprised to hear that a regular Japanese toilet didn’t fit your bowl. I had the same revelation when I visited Japan, and found them to be a direct replacement for any American toilet seat. I have and love this one and it’s completely standard for American toilets:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BO0WJS

2 Likes

Each of the Boingers has their own distinct cause celebre or bete noir

1 Like

In Finland they just put a shower system to the tap.

3 Likes

the best, most eco-friendly solution is to do your heavy business just before entering the shower anyway. No TP, no drying necessary. Saves a ton on TP and bidet installation. TP just for non-scheduled emergencies is fine.

I’ve always understood the bidet to be a post-wipe add-on for extra cleanliness (for which it seems to be logistically inferior to a handheld shower head). Using a bidet (or handheld shower head) without wiping first to remove leftover solid matter just seems like it would spread the “mess” around without necessarily thoroughly removing it.

By the way, pretending that using a bidet makes you Captain Planet is laughably sanctimonious and unduly self-congratulatory. Is there any shabbier elitism than that of novel post-BM clean-up routines?

1 Like

What about unscheduled pooping? You’re then taking an extra shower. No biggie, but that’s a lot of extra water, so it’s not eco. Besides, it solves a problem that doesn’t exist, since a proper Japanese toilet works almost as well as a shower anyway. And a “Japanese toilet” is just a toilet seat that bolts onto your existing toilet, so it doesn’t cost much. Hell, the version linked here costs all of $25.

As a longterm Japanese toilet user, I can tell you with the joy of a thoroughly clean ass that you’re wrong.

How so? It uses a lot less toilet paper and is infinitely cleaner, with no downside whatsoever. From where I sit (while warm water cleans my nether region), I’d say taking so strong an opinion about something which you have no idea about is the sanctimonious position.

Good lord that’s disgusting. Why would you want to put your hand with some wet toilet paper on your own shit, when a much better option exists?

I’ll never understand the squeamishness some people have for these things. It’s like they’re denying that they even shit. It simply makes no sense to me to find these disgusting for any other reason.

6 Likes

Right, deriding sanctimony makes one sanctimonious. Cool “I know you are but what am I?” argument, Cap.

People are always dismissing eco conscious behavior as “sanctimonious”, “Captain Planet”, “unduly self-congratulatory”, and “shabby elitistism”. Take any eco conscious habit, and there’s people who dismiss it on those grounds. It’s something people do to belittle the very idea of eco conscious behavior, whether it’s bike riding, walking, driving cleaner cars, eating local, renewable energy, or whatever.

If you want to mount a logical argument against this, such as that it doesn’t save water or paper, or that saving water or paper isn’t valuable, go for it. Otherwise, I’d say it’s fair game to use the same goofy tactics back on your argument.

6 Likes

Usually we (I’m Italian and bidets are commonplace here) have a smaller towel to use for the bidet. You can have one for each family member and of course you need to wash it, but you wash also your hands towels so no big difference in impact. In many families there’s one for the kids and two for the grown ups. If you think of it, after you washed with soap and hot water the towel is used just for drying so no big deal in sharing.

Usage, there are two “ways”: some people fill it with water and then use that water to clean themselves, some people let water run instead of filling the bidet. You don’t use cold water but hot water, and soap of course.

Oh, and before doing the bidet usually you remove all solid “matter” with toilet paper, but not as much as you would need to get “decently clean” with TP alone

2 Likes

Did I somehow wander into the personals section?

1 Like

Why would a urinal need three litres of water to flush?

Yeah, it’s not a Japanese/American incompatibility – my bowl is a short n’ stubby circular thing, probably chosen because the bathroom in my apartment is small. I ordered one of the Totos first, but there was way too much overhang. I’d love to get one to work, though – it looks like a great product.

The opposite is true – the spray of water does an excellent job of thoroughly rinsing off anything back there. I’ve been using mine for a few years now, and when I dab myself dry afterwards, the TP is nearly always clean – just ■■■■■.

4 Likes