Washington State seeks to outlaw "dwarf-tossing" at bars and strip clubs

I think the letter’s film criticism component is particularly weak.

We understand that the movie is intended to be an indictment of excessive, dangerous and illegal actions. We hope that audiences condemn not just dwarf tossing, but all of the destructive behavior portrayed in the movie. Yet, based upon reaction to the film, it is clear that not all audiences leave the theater with the same message. A film critic with a Chicago publication wrote, “Scorsese’s helpless attraction to the very behavior he wants to indict becomes the movie’s serrated edge, (Chicago Reader, JR Jones).” Film critic Oliver Gettell of the Los Angeles Times suggests that the lines between condemnation and celebration may be “distinctions without a meaningful difference between them, (The Wolf of Wall Street bares teeth, if not soul, critics say, Los Angeles Times, December 27, 2013).”

Consider one of Scorcese’s more masterful works-- Goodfellas. Is Scorcese endorsing the murders, the brutality, the sexism, the extortion? No. Did he glamorize it? Yes. Oh, god, yes. The true crime stories circulating around the Lufthansa heist make it clear that these were cruel, brutal men. The real life characters behind Tommy Devito are stripped bare of whatever Pesci brought to the role. To argue that Goodefellas could be read as " [an] indictment of excessive, dangerous and illegal actions," and to judge the film on the basis of that simplistic reading would be to displace everything that makes the film a work of art.

One thing that bugs me is that de Caprios concerns over liability are played for laughs. Throughout the movie, there’s a theme of

1. Belfort sidles up the cliff edge.
  2. He considers the risks of stepping off that cliff.
  3. He somehow persuades himself that he can fly
  4. And takes that next step, with predictable results.

In this film, Belfort is seen protesting over liability reasons. Those are apparently very serious concerns. that the film essentially downplays. What the film seems to be saying is “Belfort is so wrapped up in minutia of liability concerns that he can’t see the fundamental dignity of the little person.”

The incongruity of this particular scene thus depends on the audience contrasting its (flawed, but) intuitively obvious conception of reality with Belfort’s (serious, but) intuitively flawed conception of reality.

People will always find ways to defend a Scorcese film-- because they like the emotional rollercoaster that Scorcese provides. I’m not the exception. Unless one is well versed in film theory, trying to argue that Scorcese’s portrayal of dwarf tossing makes for a poorer film is a futile endeavor.

I think they’re arguing that it leads to people believing that little people are less entitled to being treated as the full human beings and that is connected directly to the way that Scorsese decided to film the scene and portray the actions in the scene.

3 Likes

This was the episode where the actor, David Rappaport, played an attorney that defended dwarf-tossing.

The next year, David Rappaport killed himself.

He had said he had only wanted to be treated as ″a regular, boring normal person.″

You’re a disgusting piece of work for posting this here in support of dwarf-tossing, or, to be kinder, maybe you’re just misguided.

5 Likes

I couldn’t see the clip, since it’s some weird format. Thanks for letting me know what was in it.

What a sad story.

3 Likes

LA Law wrote this storyline to make a little person defend demeaning little people.

After he died, they built up a publicity campaign that one of their actors had died without saying who, in order to goose ratings. It was ugly-exploitive. It was a famous PR fail in TV history-land

4 Likes

Ah, the familiar, age-old cry of righteous indignation!

Fucking gross, but not entirely surprising. When society constantly makes one group of people the butt of dehumanizing jokes, something like that will happen. Disgusting.

arya-leave-then|nullxnull

8 Likes

Indeed. People’s initial reaction is often “but if they are a consenting adult, then who are we to take away their right to do it.”

But consent doesn’t always work that way. What is the state of the person’s mind when they make the decision (to be thrown for entertainment, etc.) and what brought them to that state of mind?

3 Likes

Oh, I see. What goes on between two consenting adults is no one’s business but theirs, except when it offends your delicate sensibilities.

1 Like

You have a bumper sticker understanding of consent.

9 Likes

My dude… I already had a pretty detailed explanation… feel free to continue to ignore it, of course, but it’s up there for you to read and engage with seriously instead of just posting content free snark…

Until then…

brady-bunch-surejan

70sshow-kelso-burn

7 Likes

"I, as a drunk frat boy, can’t rent a dwarf to physically abuse and humiliate? But…America?

7 Likes

Truly the most important civil rights issue in modern America… Rosa Parks is crying down from heaven…

4 Likes

Most people know David Rappaport from Time Bandits or The Wizard, but before he was an actor he helped the squatter’s movement in the UK.

He was great. It is too bad LA Law did him dirty. He died at 38.

5 Likes

Indeed. We can’t let people decide what to do with their own bodies!

Pot can’t be picked up against it’s will and tossed across a room, injuring it’s back, because it’s been dehumanized.

Would you argue for consensual slavery? Or allowing a woman to get beaten by her husband if she agreed? At what point does human rights play a role in your thinking about others, especially people who have historically been marginalized and regularly abused by those with more power in society.

I’d very much like to live in a world where we’re all equally valued and respected as individuals. We DO NOT live in that world. At all.

8 Likes

The people involved are participating of their own free will.

Would you argue for consensual slavery? Or allowing a woman to get beaten by her husband if she agreed?

I hate to tell you this, but there’s a huge and thriving D/s and BDSM community of consenting adults who will tell you yes, yes, oh god yes.

This is a question that Dan Savage gets asked all the time.

Please go read my comment that addresses the more complicated social and cultural issues upthread.

None of that is actually slavery or spousal abuse. Apples and oranges. False equivalences, etc, etc.

And actual abuse DOES take place in that community and it’s just as wrong as when it happens in other places.

I just answered that. It’s a false equivalence.

7 Likes