Watch 1,500 birds invade a house through the chimney

Originally published at: Watch 1,500 birds invade a house through the chimney | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Time for a chimney cap.

17 Likes

While wearing my Linnaeus underoos: (most likely) Chaetura vauxi, commonly: Vaux’s swift …and damned if they aren’t occasionally called: the chimney swift.

13 Likes

I grew up in an old Victorian stick house, where an unused chimney was capped off in my bedroom with just a decorative dinner plate covering up the hole on the inside of the building. I had a couple of birds get into my bedroom, including a screech owl on one of the coldest nights of the year. My folks thought I was hallucinating when I woke them at 2am to tell them that there was an owl in my bedroom. I also had a starling get inside while I was away at summer camp, found it dead under the dresser. Needless to say the chimney has since been removed.

10 Likes

Rain and bugs too.

We’d be okay because we have five cats. But first they’d have to wake up and get their lazy butts of the couch.

5 Likes

tumblr_93ccc31d4be719e927c4793a8d0b29b6_37234db2_500

5 Likes

It’s so cool to watch swifts go into a chimney! Maybe not so cool to see them coming out of the fireplace…

2 Likes

Give each birb a little scrub brush in their beaks and market them as “Chimney Swift Sweepers”.

3 Likes

They’re on their way to Portland!
https://audubonportland.org/go-outside/swift-watch/

1 Like

Birb?

Why couldn’t they have just closed the flue?

1 Like
5 Likes

They found an interesting cave.

What? And you didn’t accept the invitation?

harrypotter GIF

10 Likes

Sounds like an easy way to get free birds for pies

3 Likes

I don’t understand why the news report didn’t talk to Audubon or American Bird Conservation. The swifts’ usual place to sleep was likely torn down and they needed a new place to live. At least no one killed them.

3 Likes

why though?

came to ask the same thing…I mean, ideally, they would have closed it earlier in the year, Chimney caps are also useful for managing swifts’ behavior.

I expect a nearby abandoned building, where they had roosted, has been destroyed.

1 Like