Watch: 100 people share unpopular opinions

In Inca culture they didnt even name their babies until they were one year old, up until then then were all called “wah wah”.

8 Likes

This is why as a moderate on abortions, I think they should be banned after the fourth trimester.

13 Likes

I liked them when they still were the Yellow Mild Banana Peppers.
But you’ve probably never heard of them.

12 Likes

I could get on board with that one, though I would probably have added “and Europeans”.

As I think I first read in some other discussion on BoingBoing, it’s surprising how few christians realise that the gospels are set in Asia.

13 Likes

just look at them!

seriously. look but don’t listen. save your ears. :corn:

9 Likes

Yeah, that is weird. Wait, was it supposed to be “womb”? Yeah, I guess that’s weird too.

That’s not a hot take, that’s a cold take. I dunno, I’ve never had cereal with ice in it. What kind of cereal? Might be okay.

Uh…

Nope. Nope. Nooope.

Okay, but that’s not a hot take, that’s just stupid.

When you have super-high infant mortality, it pays to not get too attached.

Not to mention all the bits of the Bible that take place in Africa.

It’s so weird, I can’t tell what the area of ignorance at play here is with this person. Does she think the Bible is about Europeans? Do they think people being Christians in the place where the Bible was written and Christianity developed is unnatural? Do they think it’s natural for people ‘of European descent’ because of the long history that makes it part of the culture? (But they’re unaware that’s true for other parts of the word too?)

8 Likes

Our garbage can is square. That’s just sensible.

7 Likes

“100 things that will cause endless arguments on BB.”

10 Likes

Yeah, the bin lorry machine that picks it up wouldn’t grip a round one that easily. I’d say most people’s are square at this stage.

6 Likes

Believing that the gospels were actually set on a sound stage in Europe does help explain why children’s devotional art Jesus is always about 50% more nordic than Ulfric Stormcloak. So there’s that.

8 Likes

Yup, cannot argue.

4 Likes

Though it’s not clear this is always why naming was delayed. In some cultures, infants had to “earn” a name. In others there was a big ceremony for the naming, with clear indications of attachment beforehand. In some Indian subcultures it was (is?) common to delay naming until a particularly auspicious time that was revealed by a priest or an astrologer. That could be “right away” or months out. “It depends” is probably the safest conclusion.

An interesting read: Nancy Scheper-Hughes’ Death Without Weeping The Violence of Everyday Life in Brazil, which is about women living in a favela in Brazil, does discuss what she observed as a lack of motherly attachment because of high death rates. Needless to say that particular conclusion is controversial.

7 Likes

My garbage can IS square - it makes it easier for the garbage truck to pick it up…why would I want a round one, unless I lived in a 60s American sitcom?

4 Likes

I’m trying to remember where I read it, but it’s actually not the birth canal that’s the limit (though it can be in cases), but the simple fact that a huge brain takes an incredible amount of energy to sustain, and nowadays you could probably get enough calories and micro/macro nutrients to go further, but abundance is a pretty new things for humanity…

The discussion had something to do with a sexist idea that women couldn’t walk or run with a wider pelvic girdle, which is entirely untrue.

3 Likes

Oh, come on. There were trucks that could handle round bins since the early 1960ies.

5 Likes

Wah wah? After the guitar pedal? You learn something new every day!

8 Likes

I’d hazard a guess that she’s also unaware that a majority of the world’s Christians are non-white (by a comfortable margin).

7 Likes

Totally. Everyday I see (I know, I know, it is another anecdote) on TV mothers and even fathers crying in despair because their children were caught in the middle of a crossfire.

9 Likes

A lot of these opinions are perhaps only unpopular in the specific social crowd these people run with.

For example, I get that the zodiac is popular, but the idea that it’s bunk is not controversial even to some people who do horoscopes (those who do it “for fun.”)

7 Likes

“And fuck New York too”

1 Like