Watch: 11-year-old girl fights off wannabe abductor

Originally published at: Watch: 11-year-old girl fights off wannabe abductor | Boing Boing

13 Likes

Hey John Q Law, ya might wanna secure the perp in a grenade-proof cell in the courtroom. Parents are gonna be HEATED.

6 Likes

Bravery in the to be commended by this young person and please lock that scumbag up.

35 Likes

In one of the local media pieces, there is a very dangerous quote from the sheriff:

“I cannot help to think that this could have ended very differently,” Sheriff Chip Simmons said at a news conference on Tuesday evening. “Had this 11-year-old victim not thought to fight and to fight and to just never give up, then this could have ended terribly.”

She didn’t ‘think’ to fight. Everyone responds, depending on the situation, in survival mode: fight, flight, or freeze.

He’s just devalued the response of any crime victim who doesn’t happen to be successful in their automatic, instinctual response to violence.

52 Likes

Pre-emptive/hypothetical victim-blaming. What a creep.

26 Likes

This is “good guy with a gun”, but with juvenile kidnapping.

10 Likes

Well, that is terrifying. Glad they got him.

8 Likes

When I took self defense classes and also read The Gift of Fear a thing we learned was that your chances of dying approach 100% if you are taken to a secondary crime site. Fight in any and every way you can if someone is trying to get you into a car. This girl did a great job.

But also, if you are a survivor, whatever you did to survive and be here today was the right choice and I am proud of you for surviving.

26 Likes

Exactly. This is the old “Why didn’t you just hold your legs together” argument. It should not be the job af an 11 yo girl to fight off an adult male (or any other) attacker.

28 Likes

Of course it shouldn’t be, but what was the alternative in that situation? To have an 11-year-old under supervision all the time? (Or 15-year-old or 18-year-old?) To preemptively arrest all creepy men?

It’s absolutely terrible that such people exist in the world, but given that that is the world we live in (although we seem to be in one of the safest eras ever right now), I feel like being told to fight is also an important lesson.

2 Likes

Hope I am the only one who freaked out thinking the uneventful first half of the video was a rape I was watching.

And hoping I never have to see the consequences of normalizing wishing for prison rape.

1 Like

Not the point. This was in reply to the sheriff who implied that it was her job to fight him off.

“I cannot help to think that this could have ended very differently,” Sheriff Chip Simmons said at a news conference on Tuesday evening. “Had this 11-year-old victim not thought to fight and to fight and to just never give up, then this could have ended terribly.”

This could easily be twisted to make it the fault of any young women who did not fight hard enough against their assailants. The “If you didn’t fight him off, you must have wanted it” defense has a long and sordid history.

25 Likes

You should tell boys to respect girls and later on THEY MIGHT NOT ASSAULT WOMEN.
Quit shifting the blame and saying young girls need to learn to fight.
Teach boys not to be assholes.

26 Likes

Privileged-ass hot takes on a topic that that has it’s roots embedded in systemic misogyny?

Oh joy, it must be a day ending in ‘Y.’

Victim-blaming toxic patriarchy, which leads to an environment of rape culture:

25 Likes

agreeing kevin corrigan GIF

26 Likes

tumblr_m040suCQ0D1rpglhvo1_400

24 Likes

Teaching/learning self defense IS wise, but so many people here seem to be missing the larger point;

WE SHOULDN’T FUCKING HAVE TO.

It’s part of the societal contract that those within that society should be safe to walk down the freakin’ street, at the bare minimum.

28 Likes

Preach GIF

25 Likes

a-fucking-men, sister

22 Likes

The girl responded by immediately fiercely resisting the kidnapping attempt. This deprived the would-be kidnapper of having the upper hand at any point in the confrontation. This helped him quickly realize he was probably on the losing end or at least stalemated in his crime.
Smart/lucky girl and kudos to whoever instilled the mindset in her to fight back in unexpected circumstances.

2 Likes