Watch a bear close a woman's front door when she asks

Possible unintended consequences: Door knob smells like human hands–bear associates smell and taste of humans with food reward used to train him? :thinking:

So much this. Last fall one of my favorite local naturalist writers/photographers shared a truly devastating story about a local bear mama she’d known for a few years, having watched her raise multiple sets of cubs over the years. Sad story warning.
Due to people habituating the bear to human-provided food, the bear became a “nuisance,” and had to be relocated to a forest far away from the home forest it had known its whole life :pleading_face:
Shortly after (a couple months, tops) a dead mature bear was found by the road near the new area and biologists ID’d it as the recently relocated bear. :cry: So due to human actions, she was drugged, moved to a strange new area far away, and died there.

10 Likes

I thought this too, but the canines are still clearly in place, so possibly it’s just the positioning of the bear’s lips that is making it difficult to see the rest of the front teeth.

Yeah, Annie Wilkes vibes all over this video. She’s done weird bible stuff with that bear for sure.

5 Likes

Not sure licking doorknobs in a pandemic is a good idea… hoping that you know this fact from the before times!

Although I recall a great comment from earlier this year along the lines of “right, fully vaccinated now - I’m off to lick the escalator handrails at Piccadilly Circus tube station!”

2 Likes

bearly a tone of criticism

Can confirm. I live on the edge of the New Jersey Pine Barrens. I haven’t seen a bear yet, but deer, wild turkey, raccoons, foxes, and rabbits are all common sights.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.