Watch a bear close a woman's front door when she asks

Originally published at: Watch a bear close a woman's front door when she asks | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Video link for the BBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiDW0ammlfE

10 Likes

Hmm. Clearly she has been trying to domesticate this one. Not a great way to treat wild animals.

25 Likes

Beat me to it.

Julianne Moore Fool GIF by NETFLIX

17 Likes

I’m just gob-smacked that a bear exists in New Jersey.

7 Likes

4 Likes

Anyone ever read A Libertarian Walks Into a Bear? The depiction of bears in there is not one you’d soon forget.

While I admit it’s cool to watch the bear do this…all during this video, my inner voice was screaming no no no no…

12 Likes

He’s politer than the av-er-age bear!

6 Likes

That’s gonna be a slimy bear spit-covered doorknob awaiting the next visitor.

8 Likes

There has to be more to the story here. Is that a pet bear? If not how did she get confident enough that it would do the “close the door” trick on cue for a video?

5 Likes

Teaser for the new Netflix series ‘Jill Exotic’.

3 Likes

It’s my understanding there’s still a surprising amount of wilderness in New Jersey.

5 Likes

There is no reason not to close the door herself. Clearly the bear is a coached shill.

3 Likes

Not exactly domesticating, but definitely habituating and almost certainly feeding it. Even if it is a friendly bear, it’s a bad idea if it walks up to the wrong human. It’s more dangerous to the bear than for humans.

These videos are dangerous in that they convinces some morons that you can just walk up to a random wild bear. I just read about a tourist in Sweden who decided to get a selfie with a bear cub. Nice photos, but he was very lucky that mama bear didn’t return.

9 Likes

My thoughts exactly.

It’s not the first time, and there’s a better-than-average chance she’s using food to reward the bear for correctly performing this party trick.

Which means the bear will associate houses/humans with food.

Which means the bear will go to OTHER houses looking for treats.

Which means there’s a fair chance an encounter will go awry (because BEAR), and the bear gets blamed and subsequently killed.

This isn’t cute.

22 Likes

I noted the fact that it has some kind of tag on both ears, guessing the bear is very used to being around hoomins?

And the ‘I wonder if it’s raining outside’ bit at the start is genuinely cringeworthy…

5 Likes

throws deadbolt, gibbers silently

3 Likes

Great book!

2 Likes

Also: Teeth removed?

1 Like

I don’t blame the bear’s hesitancy. Door knobs taste terrible.

1 Like