Watch a bunch of cops beat a black kid for jaywalking

If he was innocent, why was he arrested?

13 Likes

It’s ok. He only just joined.
No agenda or anything.

11 Likes

A couple months ago, a 70-something neighbor of mine said, “These minorities just need to learn, when the cops come after you, just do what they tell you to do.” I stared at him blankly for a bit and said, “Wow. OK,” before launching into a semi-coherent critique of outsized police power, institutional racism, etc. etc.

But when I got home, I realized I am really just waiting for people like him to die. The interaction reflected poorly on both of us.

10 Likes

God bless Henry Ford

20 Likes

welcome to boingboing. now that you’ve found the forums be sure and read some of the other stories. take time to like comments you favor to let the authors know they’re appreciated.

14 Likes

thanks, this is fascinating (though the sick kind of fascination, especially the last 2 paragraphs)

1 Like

It is a shitty common practice in the USA for them to throw whatever then can at a person, however ridiculous it might seem, and hope that some of it sticks or that they can force a plea bargain. They call it throwing the book at them.

The kid should never have been arrested for jaywalking in the first place as he was exiting a bus, not crossing the street, so even “resisting arrest” is f’n ridiculous.

They were called in when he resisted. Those were the officers that were within a certain radius of the scene and could respond quickly. Very common.

2 Likes

Well into making me jealous *, what with this and the ancient right of way on centuries-old paths.

(* City of London almost certainly excluded.)

1 Like

Look on the bright side - now the young man will be able to afford college without loans!

2 Likes

8 Likes

Unfortunately, many of them raised kids and are projecting their racism far into the future. I wish it were as easy as letting some assholes die, but I think it’s going to take some work before we can actually deal with our racist shit here in America.

But you’re neighbor sounds like a joy to be around… /s

5 Likes

No. About the worst they can do is give you a citation.

1 Like

Bro, do you even Police?

4 Likes

I’ve actually been forced (illegally, natch) off green lanes in the UK for ‘criminal damage’ for bending blades of grass under the tyres of our bus.

2 Likes

@quorihunter , well said.

This is literally the first time I have yelled FUCKING PIGS.

Get your shit together USA, the 60’s were fifty years ago.

4 Likes

They didn’t have to look very far

7 Likes

Only if you resist arrest. If he’d simply allowed them to arrest him without cause then he wouldn’t have been arrested without cause. Or something.

14 Likes

Are you disappointed in BB?

7 Likes

More and more with each passing day.

1 Like