Watch a locomotive tear down Vietnam's terrifying "train street"

And the coincidence with the Mustache Twirling Association didn’t help…

5 Likes

No, no, no - I’m a flaming idiot.

And you meant to reply to somebody else.

1 Like

St James, one of the old Sydney underground stations, was expanded during WWII for use as an emergency bomb shelter and command post. The current station is only about 1/10th of what’s down there.

Although the bomb shelter parts were supposed to be sealed off, street life finds a way. It was used as a personal refuge by the city’s homeless for decades…and it’s also where I used to go drink with my mates when I was a teenager.

There was a part where one of the disused tunnels opened onto a still live train track. The gap in the wall was only a metre wide, so what we used to do is to grab each side of the gap and wait for a train to go past a few inches in front of your nose.

The wind blast would push you away from the train as it approached, but the vacuum behind it would suck you out onto the track after it passed. Much fun. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Check out Schuyler Street, Utica, NY

3 Likes

Tracks and buildings and pedestrians so close together. Like in a dream.

Interesting couple of days re ‘first time’ and ‘been a while’ posters. Both posts were youtube “worthy”. Something’s afoot.

2 Likes

It doesn’t seem as dangerous as allowing basically everyone in your country to buy as many guns as they want…

2 Likes

In Austin, when they built I35, it crossed a railroad line, one of the busiest in the state, AT GRADE. They finally built an overpass for the Interstate, but for years and years that was the only place in the entire US where traffic on an Interstate highway had to stop for trains.

2 Likes

Sorry 'bout dat.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.