Watch a plane gracefully land on a crowded highway, then keep up with traffic

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/16/watch-a-plane-gracefully-land.html

6 Likes

Pilot should be ticketed for taking up three lanes. :wink:

Back to reality: Action-movies have probably conditioned us to almost blandly accept what happened.

5 Likes

Are you sure that was Quebec? I didn’t hear the car behind the plane honking at him to speed up.

25 Likes

Not a Cessna. Looks like a Piper Cherokee. (in days of old, every small plane was called a Piper Cub)

10 Likes

I looked at all those obstacles (bridges, wires, signs) that the pilot avoided, and thought of this

(Which is also a nice example of Chekov’s gun)

5 Likes

Actually, Beechcraft Bonanza. Cessnas are high-wing, not low.

3 Likes

I like how that one car was tailgating that plane just like any other car on the road.

25 Likes

The Canadian aircraft registry says it’s a Piper PA-28-140.

https://www.regosearch.com/aircraft/ca/FFEC

15 Likes

What a jerk. The pilot didn’t signal that lane change.

10 Likes

Probably texting and didn,t notice it there

6 Likes

Any landing you can walk away from…
Nicely done.

11 Likes

For a second there, I thought the pilot was going to head for the exit ramp “here’s my stop!”

6 Likes

My French is pretty rusty, but looks like he landed due to engine problems and couldn’t safely make it back to the airport. Emergency landings are scary enough even when you have a nice, empty runway. Bravo to the pilot!

Good thing it wasn’t during pre-Corona rush hour…

6 Likes

I would be giving an airplane a LOT more room than these drivers did. Perhaps this is part of their routine.

15 Likes

Here’s my attempt at the pilot’s quote:

“I had engine trouble. It didn’t quit completely, but it was running very badly. I wanted to go back to the airport, but couldn’t make it. I landed on the highway; I had no choice.”

6 Likes

Maybe it’s got a BMW engine?

6 Likes

We had that happen in Chicago a few years ago, and I was actually on the road at the time and saw it happen.

For extra points, the city had just put up a pedestrian bridge over that spot on south Lake Shore Drive (literally: it was still being finished at the time, having only gone up a few weeks prior) so in addition to having to navigate an emergency landing on a road filled with cars, they had to land quickly enough to go UNDER the bridge because they didn’t have enough height at that point to clear it. No one was even injured, and the only property damage was some heavy tracks in the grass in the median due to the landing gear.

13 Likes

I came to this thread looking for your exact response :+1:

4 Likes

What?

Sully paved the way.

2 Likes